Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help with Power fuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juna1103

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Sandip Golani

I was hopeing you can help me with a problem I having with my computer macbook A1342.
One night working on my computer that is out of warranty, I notice a funny burning smell but before I could do anything I heard a pop and my computer shut off, and never turn back on again ' dead '
When I open the computer to see if I try to reset the ram I seen a black ashy stuff on the rear vent, so to see where that was coming from I had to take out the logic board and when I did I notice by where the DC JACK plugs into the board a small burnt fuse, I think thats what it is.. I have some picture at photobucket there a picture with a big red arrow pointing at the fuse at the top left corner.
I found a place the sell these tiny pieces do you think if I replace the fuse my computer will work again?
Also I tried to bridge what was left of the fuse but the fuse is brittle and everytime I touch it alittle fall apart.
Please any advice

Attachments

• Power fuse12.JPG
    Power fuse12.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 77

Hi,

even you replace the fuse it will keep burnt in. Some component was damage and must be replace before you replace the fuse. Check the electrical pathway of dc jack to its power supply. Moreover, check the capacitors, bridge rectifiers and other passive components in the power supply(inside laptop). And then check the output voltage of your adaptor if its still working and with in regulated output.

I notice a cracked capacitor, I have a picture of what the capacitor looks like, there is a red arrow pointing at it.
This is not the capacitor thats is cracked but it looks the same, and has the same number on it. The capacitor thats cracked is more to the right of the one i'm pointing at.

Attachments

• Capacitor.JPG
    Capacitor.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 81

yeh, its a tantalum capacitor. i cannot see the value of that capacitor. Hmmm, nothing else has been damage? check the pathway going to the nearest IC's and test whether the VCC and GND of the IC's is shorted. if shorted, you should replaced it. Its better to send your laptop to your nearest technician to replace the damage parts. Its best way to speed up fixing the problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back