Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help SMS controller with low SMS validity period

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowlingo

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have bought a sample SMS controller from China and have it controlling various of devices just fine...its working great and im very happy with it.

The controller is here

GSM SMS Auto Controller,RTU5011 - Detailed info for GSM SMS Auto Controller,RTU5011,GSM SMS Controller,GSM SMS Auto Controller,RTU5011,RTU5011,GSM RTU on Alibaba.com

The problem I am having is if an input is triggered when someone has there phone turned off or they are in a non reception area if they turn the phone back on or come back into a signal area within 5 hours there is no problem. If its over 5 hours the messages wont be delivered. I have since found out this is to do with the validity period thats sent out with the SMS messages of which must be set to low.

I have contacted the manufacturer and they are adament this is a problem with the mobile phone companies in the UK and nothing to do with them as once the messages are sent out its entirely up to the mobile operator as to how long they try to deliver them. If I turn the same phone im sending to off, send sms messages from two different phones on different networks, trigger a MMS camera and also trigger the SMS controller if I leva ethe phone off for around 5 hours then turn it on the sms messages from the 2 different phones arrive without problem, the mms camera messages arrive without problem but the SMS controller messages never arrive so this proves to me its something to do with the way the SMS controller is programmed.

I have take it apart and its using a Queltel M10..im not sure if there is something that can be done to this Queltel M10 chip that increase the message validity?

Please help...ive tried everywhere

Thanks

Ive since found it its using a quectel M10..Im asuming there will be a command to raise the message validity?

**broken link removed**

page 104...ive no idea what im doing or if I can even comunicate with the quectel M10

Please point me in right direction

Thanks

im willing to pay someone who has the abilities to sort this problem out..

If you have read the quectel M10 AT command description thoroughly (did you?), you should have noticed that AT+CSMP command (Set SMS text mode parameters) has a vp (validity period) parameter. It's default value is 167, which calculates as 24 h period. In PDU mode, validity period can be specified in the message block directly.

As you apparently observe only 5 h SMS storage, I see two possibible reasons:

- your SMS controller is setting a different validity period explicitely, can be verified by sniffing the serial communication between controller and modem

- your mobile phone service provider ignores requested validity periods

If you have read the quectel M10 AT command description thoroughly (did you?), you should have noticed that AT+CSMP command (Set SMS text mode parameters) has a vp (validity period) parameter. It's default value is 167, which calculates as 24 h period. In PDU mode, validity period can be specified in the message block directly.

As you apparently observe only 5 h SMS storage, I see two possibible reasons:

- your SMS controller is setting a different validity period explicitely, can be verified by sniffing the serial communication between controller and modem

- your mobile phone service provider ignores requested validity periods

Thanks for your reply..

I have had a good look at the commands and have tried to understand them to the best of my ability of which is very limited..I bought this bais controller on the basis the Quectel would of already been pre-programmed. I have no idea about how to communicate with it and am well and truly out of my depth please can you explain what you would try to do in this situation

Thanks

I bought this bais controller on the basis the Quectel would of already been pre-programmed. I have no idea about how to communicate with it and am well and truly out of my depth please can you explain what you would try to do in this situation.

I assume, that GSM modem is equipped with it's factory standard firmware, respectively pre-programmed in your words. The specific behaviour in the SMS controller application is set by the microcontroller through AT commands.

To find out, if it's performing particular actions, e.g. setting a validity period of 5 hours, you have to find a way to trace the modem's serial communication, RxD and TxD line. All you need is a two channel COM port adapter with logic level, not RS232. Using a FT2232 module is a simple way to achieve this. Or invert both signals and connect them to two standard RS232 port, e.g. of a desktop computer.

However, if it turns out, that the SMS controller software does something unwanted like setting a short validity period, you won't be easily able to change the behaviour, if the manufacturer doesn't provide an option to adjust the parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back