Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me with a question regarding source voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnight-gamer

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I have what looks to be a series AC rlc circuit. The only values listed are 100 volts measured across each part of the circuit. ( ie, the inductor, capacitor, and resistor each measure 100 volts) Using just those values I would like to know the source voltage. It may seem like a silly question, but I am unsure if its as simple as adding the three values together. Thank you.

''The overall resistance to the flow of current in an RLC circuit is known as the impedance, symbolized by Z. The impedance is found by combining the resistance, the capacitive reactance, and the inductive reactance. Unlike a simple series circuit with resistors, however, where the resistances are directly added, in an RLC circuit the resistance and reactances are added as vectors.
This is because of the phase relationships. In a circuit with just a resistor, voltage and current are in phase. With only a capacitor, current is 90° ahead of the voltage, and with just an inductor the reverse is true, the voltage leads the current by 90°. When all three components are combined into one circuit, there has to be some compromise.
To figure out the overall effective resistance, as well as to determine the phase between the voltage and current, the impedance is calculated like this. The resistance R is drawn along the +x-axis of an x-y coordinate system. The inductive reactance is at 90° to this, and is drawn along the +y-axis. The capacitive reactance is also at 90° to the resistance, and is 180° different from the inductive reactance, so it's drawn along the -y-axis. ''

The impedance, Z, is the sum of these vectors, and is given by:
Impedance.GIF

for more details see here
**broken link removed**
http://www.physics.metu.edu.tr/~bucurgat/ntnujava/rlc/rlc.html

In this particular case voltage is 100Vac, because the inductor voltage and the capacitor voltage have opposite signs
Vsource=Vresistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back