Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me with a probability task

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudiocamera

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
probability question

I have an exercise and I am clueless, can you help me ?

1000 screws are daily produced in a line of production, the shanks have lengths from 0.65 cm to 1,15 cm uniformly distributed. The head always has 0,1 cm, but there are a chance that 1 among 50 screws is headless. At the end of the day a quality control eliminates:

- Screws headless
-Screws with total length less than 0.9 cm.

Determine the probability that 70% of screws are accepted by the quality control at the end of the day.

Re: probability question

This can be solved by a binomial consideration.
The whole process consists of 1000 bernoulli tests, each of which amounts to pick up a screw and check whether it's good or bad. Let's assume that the probability for a good screw is p while for a bad screw q. p+q=1. We'll get back to them shortly.
Set n=1000, and m=300, where m=300 comes from the number 70% which means 30% of the screws (=300) can be bad. Therefore, the probability that 70% of the screws are good is the following

Sum[C(n,i)q^i * p^(n-i),{i=0, to m}],

where I have used the notations as in Mathematica. C(n,i)=n!/(i!(n-i)!), the sum is performed for i from 0 to m (=300).

Ok, let's get to the hard part, i.e., to determine p and q.

Set A1 = the screw is longer than 0.9cm, B1 = the screw is shorter than 0.9cm. Since the length is uniformly distributed and you can easily find out that 0.9 is right at the middle of (0.65, 1.15), P(A1)=1/2 and P(B1)=1/2.

Set A2 = screw has a head, B2= screw doesn't have a head. According to the condition, P(A2)=49/50 and P(B2)=1/50.

Since a screw is bad iff the screw belongs to B1UB2 (the union of B1 and B2), we have

q=P(B1UB2)=1-P(A1A2)=1-P(A1|A2)P(A2)=1-(1/2)*(49/50),

where I have used the relation B1UB2 = {whole sample space} - A1A2, A1 is independent of A2 ( I supposed the head and the shank are separate parts of a screw).

Therefore, p=1-q=(1/2)*(49/50).

Sorry, busy lately and don't have time to answer more questions.

probability question

Thanks!

From here it is possible to finish the exercice using o D'Moivre Laplace. Just a remark, I think that in determining the probabilities p and q the length of the head must be considered since is the total length of the screw which is considered for acceptance, so there are a slight changing in the probabilities results, but it is ok, what really matters is the overall idea.

Re: probability question

Sorry for the late response (too busy).

Yes, you are right. Here is the right place to apply that theorem, but you also take the sum directly using a program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back