Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me understand how the emergency lighting circuit work (China)

Status
Not open for further replies.

samy555

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is the electronic circuit,,,,
When the main 220Vac is exist the transistor off
jb13885425803.jpg

When the main 220Vac is OFF the transistor ON
jb13885425802.jpg

I can not understand how the circuit works, what is the mystery in using D1 & D2?
It's amazing that the battery can not make the transistor On!
The other thing is that the main power alone control the state of the transistor and in a reverse manner ???
thank you

With mains off, the base is biased hard on via R3 and all the diodes are effectively at either 0 or reverse bias and thus effectively out of circuit.

With the mains on, the current can flow in the bridge rectifier establishing ~4.7V or so across C2 which charges the battery via D2 (Putting Q2 emitter ~0.7V above the lower end of C2. D1 then serves to clamp the base of Q2 also at 0.7V above the bottom of C2, Q2 Vbe is thus ~0V and the led is off.

It is quite elegant, for all that the use of the ground symbol on the schematic is IMHO dangerous (ALL of the circuit is live when power is applied), and a modest series resistor in series with C1 would help reliability in the presence of transients.

HTH.

Regards, Dan.

Reactions: samy555

samy555

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
With mains off, the base is biased hard on via R3 and all the diodes are effectively at either 0 or reverse bias and thus effectively out of circuit.

With the mains on, the current can flow in the bridge rectifier establishing ~4.7V or so across C2 which charges the battery via D2 (Putting Q2 emitter ~0.7V above the lower end of C2. D1 then serves to clamp the base of Q2 also at 0.7V above the bottom of C2, Q2 Vbe is thus ~0V and the led is off.

It is quite elegant, for all that the use of the ground symbol on the schematic is IMHO dangerous (ALL of the circuit is live when power is applied), and a modest series resistor in series with C1 would help reliability in the presence of transients.

HTH.

Regards, Dan.
Thank you very much Dan
It was an excellent answer and I understood well
Some simple questions remained:
(1) Why you said "hard" in "the base is biased hard on via R3 " ,, I think you mean something?
(2)
With the mains on, the current can flow in the bridge rectifier establishing ~4.7V or so across C2
I did my calculations and get 2.178V
I know I'm wrong!!!!

jb13886956941.jpg

Thank you very much

The usual rule of thumb for a bipolar transistor is that to get it switched hard into saturation requires that Ib be greater then about 1/10th Ic, which is clearly the case here as R3 < (10 * R4) even ignoring the LED voltage drop.

|Xc1| = ~ 3K ohms, and output voltage is clearly limited by the battery charging voltage (Which is small), so current in C1 is ~ 230V/3K = ~100mA which seems reasonable for charging the battery, the voltage is set by the fact that the battery is essentially a voltage source and will maintain a substantially constant voltage of around 4-5V or so over a wide range of charging currents, D2 is in series with the battery so you need to add 0.7V there. Hence 4.7V or so.

Your capacitive divider would be correct if the bridge rectifier was not present, but its presence means that C2 is a smoothing cap that cannot discharge back into C1 so it does not play a part in a voltage divider, instead it serves as a place to dump the small currents flowing in the diodes when the mains voltage dips to zero every 10ms. Once the mains is removed, it discharges via R3,D1 until the base voltage of Q2 rises sufficiently to turn on the transistor and light the led.

It is really quite elegant in a sort of maximally reduced BOM cost way.

Reactions: samy555

samy555

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.