Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help identify this SOT23 diode that is fitted across the rectified mains

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hi,
We have an offline LED lighting product from an old company. It had been running on the mains for two years.
It has a high voltage linear regulator just downstream of a mains diode bridge (there is no smoothing capacitor after the diode bridge) . The regulator output is 2.5V. It just supplies a microcontroller. Connected from output to input of this regulator, is a SOT23 diode. This diode obviously stands off the rectified mains haversines (339Vpk).
An ex member of staff assures us that this diode is a BAS16……but BAS16 is only rated to 100V. The diode itself is still functional, and is pinned out like a BAS16. But surely such a low voltage diode wouldn’t have been able to survive going across the mains?

The diode has markings on it…….”CJB” ( or it might actually be “CJ8”)…and then perpendicular to this, it is marked “CN”.
Does anyone know what actual diode this might be?

BAS16 datasheet
https://www.vishay.com/docs/85539/bas16.pdf

If it's a BAS16 it's a very lucky one. They are coded 'A6' anyway.
The obvious component to place there is a voltage clamp of some kind but one in a SOT23 package doesn't make sense. Does it only have two connections to it?

Brian.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Sorry, Ive a massive apology to make....it is marked "KJ8" (or "KJB") and not "CJ8"
...I was in the dept till late last night and had to leave before id got a good look.
Im pretty sure no SOT23 diode in the world is rated for mains voltage?

The obvious component to place there is a voltage clamp of some kind but one in a SOT23 package doesn't make sense. Does it only have two connections to it?
Thanks Yes it does only have two tracks going into it.

- - - Updated - - -

i dont know if i explained myself well....
I am sure you know of the connection of a diode from output back to input of a linear regulator....thats what i mean.
The linear regulator is a LR8 type

- - - Updated - - -

The board was manufactured in early 2016, i wonder if BAS16's were marked A6 back then....i suspect they still were.
In which case i suspect the "CN" stands for "China", and this is possibly some kind of high voltage Chinese diode?

- - - Updated - - -

The MMBD3004 is the highest voltage SOT23 diode on digikey, at 350V.
It however, is not marked "KJ..."

MMBD3004
https://www.taiwansemi.com/products/datasheet/MMBD3004 SERIES_B15.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Aaah...solved it, its a 400v rated MMBD5004S, and it was made in Nov 2015

The manufacturer advises a diode is connected across the LR8 whenever the output voltage may be higher than the input voltage, essentially for reverse polarity protection. A lower voltage diode would be suitable as long as the input - regulated output voltage was less than it's PIV but what I don't understand is what is ahead of the regulator. You imply there is a mains AC bridge feeding he regulator with no reservoir capacitor. That doesn't sound right somehow.

Brian.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks, yes i admit its a strange setup!
I'd never seen anything like this before.
I must admit that same thing looked bad to me...but this product ran for two years on the mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.