Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help! Excessive half-bridge driver ringing

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefalo

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I am having problems with my half-bridge driver circuit. I am using the linear technology LT1160 (https://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1142,C1114,P1133,D1303) to drive two IXYS IXFN170N10 mosfets (**broken link removed**). My problem is exceptionally bad ringing and noise in the circuit which is causing false turn-on of the mosfets (turning on when they should be off!).

I have tried adding gate resistance, filter caps, etc., to no avail! I have the circuit wired up as shown in the linear data sheet. Has anyone ever had these problems using these kinds of drivers? Right now I am just trying to prototype my design so I have everything in a protoboard, do you think this could be part of the problem (non-ideal wiring and interconnects).

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly helpful! Please help me out if you have any suggestions.

My first thought was the layout.
Since you mention proto board, I suspect that is the culprit.
So, if you are convinced that you wired everything correctly, then try doing a proper layout. You can use perfboard, but make sure the connections to the gates are kept short. And gate resistors should indeed help.

Status
Not open for further replies.