Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please explain ADC Burst vs polling vs interrupt vs DMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtronix

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
please give comparison of different ADC mode use in ARM microcontroller in terms of
1) Conversion time
2) execution time
3) advantage and disadvantage
4) application

please give comparison of different ADC mode use in ARM microcontroller in terms of
1) Conversion time
2) execution time
3) advantage and disadvantage
4) application

I'm not sure what you mean by the burst mode, but I'll speak about the rest. I'll speak in terms of general ADC principles and not specific to any ARM controller.

Polling vs interrupt vs DMA doesn't change the actual ADC conversion time. However, the method specified does affect the time required to obtain the result.

With polling, you're continuously checking to see if conversion is complete - you're wasting valuable CPU time that you could be using to do something else. With the interrupt, this problem is solved since you're no longer (necessarily) stalling the CPU while the ADC conversion is occurring. However, there is still the matter of interrupt latency, and unless you have some logic in the ISR, you're still wasting some cycles. This is solved by using DMA which can load a specified variable with the ADC result (without any CPU overhead). However, the DMA just loads the variable and you'll need to do the logic using the CPU. However, if you weren't doing anything except loading a variable with the ADC result, in the ISR, then you save cycles due to no interrupt entrance or latency.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

do you have any document related to ADC modes working?

Status
Not open for further replies.