Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please disable the possibility for normal users to put a thread in the closed state

Status
Not open for further replies.

std_match

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Other users can have valuable information to share even after the original poster thinks that the problem is solved.

Wrong reasoning. If I start a topic on the problem that I have, the moment that the problem is solved is the moment to lock down the topic. If you think that in that topic is not written enough, start new one. Making topics too long is bad thing. Search is the best way to find info that you need (if info exists).

Other users can have valuable information to share even after the original poster thinks that the problem is solved.

Usually the exact opposite thing happens, many users leave the threads open and then users "reopen" that thread after 4 or 5 years of inactivity to post their own question which may be similar to the original question.
I have to add that I have seen some cases in which the thread was closed with some wrong solution, in that case you can PM the original poster.

Alex

But PM to original poster still leaves the incorrect solution on the forum. I agree with std-match.

Keith

When you PM the original poster he can reopen the thread until a correct solution is found but it is up to the OP so I guess there will be cases that a thread will remain closed with a wrong solution even after the OP is notified about the wrong solution.

Alex

Last edited:

I guess there will be cases that a thread will remain closed with a wrong solution even after the OP is notified about the wrong solution.
Yes, that has to be accepted, if a close-my-thread feature exists. I don't think, that it's major problem. I remember a few cases, when I took part in discussion and found the thread closed overhasty, e.g. with a wrong solution, that has been gladly accepted by the original poster. On the other hand, nobody can correct all wrong or misleading solutions posted at edaboard.

Personally, I don't think that it's appropriate to close a thread unless it has a very special topic and has been answered exhaustively. It's also O.K. to close a thread, that has been mainly based on wrong assumptions. In other cases, I tend to leave an option to carry it on in follow-up posts. As already mentioned, there are many cases where newcomers are adding unrelated comments or retelling previous posts. But this bad habit isn't a sufficient resaon to close all threads.

I too disagree with the closing of threads just because the OP has had the reply they wanted.

Many times someone else can come along and find a topic that they are interested in yet may not have all the information they need so simply asking an additional question or making a further comment can improve the thread.

Also, many times when someone comes on the board and asks a question they get told to "do a search first", to find an existing thread on the subject.

But if that thread is locked then they end up making a new one anyway.

By all means have the [solved] tag, but not close it.

Only mods should be able to close threads IMO.

FvM

Are Moderators allowed to reopen closed threads ?
If yes, maybe an intermediate solution could be advising them about incorrect solution.

+++

Yes moderators can open any closed thread, I have also seen a moderator post a message in a closed thread without reopening it.

Alex

Yes, moderators can post on closed threads. We can also join, split and move them. I occasionally attach 'lost' answers and unlock 'solved' threads.

As has been said, if you see a thread that should be unlocked, contact one of the moderators.

Keith

Done. Now user can mark topic as solved but it's still unlocked. Thank you for your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back