Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

planar em simulation within hfss

Status
Not open for further replies.

rntsay

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I know there are different products from Ansoft for planar em simulations
(Nexxim?) which are cheaper than hfss. I have hfss and I prefer to stay
within it. My question is this : can you run hfss in planar em mode? (to get
speed at cost of accuracy...)

HFSS itself uses only the FEM solver. For a faster, less accurate solution, you would transition to 2.5D planar solvers that utilize some sort of Method of Moment technique. In Desiger there is PlanarEM, which is ANSYS' planar MoM solver. It uses EDA layout for preprocessing and it efficient for planar antennas

Have Fun!

You can run MoM simulation on HFSS. This functionality has been added since version 12, I think. I am positive it is included in current version ( 13).
I presume you have the older version. You need to see what is cheaper, to upgrade your version or get the license for Designer. By the way, Ansoft Designer
is almost the same price as HFSS, as it is not just planar EM solver, but also have circiut simulation capabilities with a lot of libraries.
Regards

Reactions: rntsay

rntsay

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
it is true... HFSS 13.1 is the most smooth one.

For a faster, less accurate solution, you would transition to 2.5D planar solvers that utilize some sort of Method of Moment technique.

The planar MoM solvers are not less accurate. They solve the full Maxwell's equations, using a method that is optimized for planar structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back