Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

placing double sided pcb on a heat sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliyesami

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am looking for a way to place the pcb on a heat sink and electrically isolate it , what are my options? i am looking at thermal pads but i dont know if they completely will isolate the pcb electrically from the heat sink .
are there any sprays available that i can use?

There is a wide range of thermal elastomers.

What are your specs for Area, Watts, Volts and thermal resistance?

note that some require high pressure to realize low Rth.

my area is 7X11 inches , the voltage will be 45 volts , total wattage 300watts .
I don't know what the thermal resistance is . i just need to fully isolate the pcb nets and vias on bottom side from the heat sink I am not worried about the heat as pcb will not be producing any heat .

So this is just an adhesive problem? What about blocking convection flow of the air to heatsink with an epoxy board which is an insulator?

Got any pictures?

no its not an adhesive problem but rather isolation problem , if i cant glue the pcb to the heat sink i can always screw it down but what is important for me is to isolate the base of pcb from heat sink conductive surface.
I am not worried about the convection flow , i am worried about electrical
short circuiting of the pcb tracks on the lower sider touching the heat sink.

Last edited:

If you are worried about sharp protrusions then a rigid insulative tape or a larger gap is needed, otherwise any double sided tape 1-2 mm should work, with 1-5 kV/mm

I think you are looking for some insulating film like this:
https://www.aavid.com/product-group/interface/films-insulating

There are other types that are thicker, but have much worse thermal conductivity.

- - - Updated - - -

The previous stuff looks like it doesn't come in sheets (though I know a place I worked at before used similar stuff on our heatsinks). This might be a fit for what you want it has adhesive and comes in 8" x 8" sheets.
https://www.aavid.com/product-group/attachments/tape

Plastic stand-offs and screws would be the standard option.

The previous stuff looks like it doesn't come in sheets (though I know a place I worked at before used similar stuff on our heatsinks). This might be a fit for what you want it has adhesive and comes in 8" x 8" sheets.
https://www.aavid.com/product-group/attachments/tape

yes this is what i want, where can i buy it ? on their website they are not selling .

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back