Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Placement of Termination Resistor location dependancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

hioyo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Team,

For series termination, we need to place the termination resistor close to the driver
and for parallel termination, we need to place the resistor close to the receiver.

what will happen if did not place it close to the driver/receiver and why?

Regards
Hai

Hi,

It depends how "far away" and on the dV/dt of the signal (frequency bandwidth).

The transmitted signal travels along the signal lines. On every impedance jump there will be an "echo" generated. The bigger the impedance step the higher the amplitude of the echo. The "longer" the (trace of the) impedance mismatch the lower the echoed frequencies (from very high frequency down to this lower limit).

I guess there are some online simulators for impedance mismatch. Do an internet search. Maybe videos.

Klaus

Last edited:
Reactions: hioyo

hioyo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Klaus,

Thank you very much

so if the termination resistor is placed near to the receiver(parallel termination) or near to driver(series termination)
we can avoid reflections.
If they are far away from the receiver/driver reflections will be more.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Hai

Hi
we can avoid reflections.
Most probably not avid, but reduce. In best case to a negligible value.

Klaus

Added:
if there is a signal line with controlled impedance. ... then there is is receiver....and then then again is a long signal line, then a termination:
Then the "reciever" will cause a little jump in impedance. ... with low echoes.

You may have a bus with multiple receivers, maybe each several meters apart....still with low echoing.

The bus should be "linear" with only very short branches .. and a termination at the end.

I guess you didn´t yet follow my recommendation to do internet search on your own....
There are really very many good cdcouments and videos...

Klaus

Last edited:
Reactions: hioyo

hioyo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back