Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Placement of Several Identical Cirucit Blocks on the Burn-in PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

ling4ever

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a 90 position burn-in PCB. That is 90 identical circuits to be layout in a 9 rows by 10 columns on the burn-in PCB. Is there a way to hasten my placement to the board? I am using cadence allegro v16.3 for layout. Each block is being represented by a hierarchy on the cadence concept v16.3. These means that my components ref des appears like C1_1,R1_1, R2_1 . . . for circuit block 1, C1_2, R1_2, R2_2 . . . for circuit block 2. I am currently using placement edit mode for replication of each placement and routing per block. My method still requires me to repeat the process ninety times for this project for all circuits to be placed. Does anyone here knows a better approach?

Could you not just layout one circuit.
Then get the pcb manufacturer to panalise the board into a panel of 9 * 10 circuits.

Use CADSTAR instead.

Lay out 1 circuit then replicate all the others exactly the same, then route 1 circuits and copy all the routing to all the others, or use Reuse blocks.

:)

Has 16.3 got placement replication?

Use CADSTAR instead.

The answer is yes, Cadence 16.2 started it for ist time. Older versions of cadence does not support this feature. I have faced such problem before, below are some steps to replicate a circuit in cadence allegro v16.3 .

1. Enter the Placement mode.
2. Define a seed circuit (the circuit which you want to replicate). Select all of the componets and right click "Place Replicate and create". When accessing the right mouse "Place Replicate Create" menu item be sure to hover over a component element, such as a pin, in order to get the right mouse button menu. Hovering over black space will not produce the commands related to the selected elements. The placed circuits are highlighted.
3. You have the opportunity to select or unselect additional etch from that which was auto-generated for the seed circuit.
4. You will be prompted to "Pick origin or use RMB for Snap to" functionality. Use the Snap to functionality to snap to a pin or via or other element.
5. You will be prompted, with a GUI to save the seed circuit. It will be stored in .mdd format.
6. Window select the remaining components that you want to replicate followed by a right mouse button "Place Replicate Apply". You can either continue in the right mouse button selection to select the replication module or select "Browse" to use a GUI to select the module.. Minimize the selection to relevant components to minimize any performance impact.
7. An interface appears which lets you swap components. The first column lists the contents of the next circuit to be placed, the second column lists the swappable components in that circuit. When a component is selected in the "Swappable" column, a list of components to swap with appears in the "Swap With" column.
8. Clicking "OK" will place the replicated circuit on your cursor.
9. Place all of the circuits.
10. Window around all of the replicated circuits, including the seed circuit, and select right mouse button "Align Modules" while hovering of a component that you wish the other circuits to be aligned to.
11. If a change needs to be made to the circuitry you can make those changes and then update those changes to the other replicated modules.
12. Set the super filter (right mouse button) to "Module". Hover over the circuit that the changes were made to and select, using the right mouse button, Place replicate apply. You will be prompted to select/unselect additional elements and then select "Done".
13. A file save GUI will be presented to you where you can save the circuit. At that time the updates will be applied to the circuits in the design.
14. While you are in the placement application mode and the super filter is set to "Module" you can move the replicated circuit as a group by hovering over the module and selecting "Move". You can also take advantage of single pick functionality by enabling the right mouse button functionality "Customize -- Enable Single Click Execution." Using this you only select the module to move rather than hovering over the module and selecting "move" from either the right mouse button or the Allegro menu.

Cheers

The answer is yes, Cadence 16.2 started it for ist time. Older versions of cadence does not support this feature. I have faced such problem before, below are some steps to replicate a circuit in cadence allegro v16.3 .

1. Enter the Placement mode.
2. Define a seed circuit (the circuit which you want to replicate). Select all of the componets and right click "Place Replicate and create". When accessing the right mouse "Place Replicate Create" menu item be sure to hover over a component element, such as a pin, in order to get the right mouse button menu. Hovering over black space will not produce the commands related to the selected elements. The placed circuits are highlighted.
3. You have the opportunity to select or unselect additional etch from that which was auto-generated for the seed circuit.
4. You will be prompted to "Pick origin or use RMB for Snap to" functionality. Use the Snap to functionality to snap to a pin or via or other element.
5. You will be prompted, with a GUI to save the seed circuit. It will be stored in .mdd format.
6. Window select the remaining components that you want to replicate followed by a right mouse button "Place Replicate Apply". You can either continue in the right mouse button selection to select the replication module or select "Browse" to use a GUI to select the module.. Minimize the selection to relevant components to minimize any performance impact.
7. An interface appears which lets you swap components. The first column lists the contents of the next circuit to be placed, the second column lists the swappable components in that circuit. When a component is selected in the "Swappable" column, a list of components to swap with appears in the "Swap With" column.
8. Clicking "OK" will place the replicated circuit on your cursor.
9. Place all of the circuits.
10. Window around all of the replicated circuits, including the seed circuit, and select right mouse button "Align Modules" while hovering of a component that you wish the other circuits to be aligned to.
11. If a change needs to be made to the circuitry you can make those changes and then update those changes to the other replicated modules.
12. Set the super filter (right mouse button) to "Module". Hover over the circuit that the changes were made to and select, using the right mouse button, Place replicate apply. You will be prompted to select/unselect additional elements and then select "Done".
13. A file save GUI will be presented to you where you can save the circuit. At that time the updates will be applied to the circuits in the design.
14. While you are in the placement application mode and the super filter is set to "Module" you can move the replicated circuit as a group by hovering over the module and selecting "Move". You can also take advantage of single pick functionality by enabling the right mouse button functionality "Customize -- Enable Single Click Execution." Using this you only select the module to move rather than hovering over the module and selecting "move" from either the right mouse button or the Allegro menu.

Cheers

Actually, this was the method I was using. Placement edit is very handy for several identical circuit blocks yet the method may still become tedious if there is a large number identical circuit blocks to be replicated. I think placement edit is still the best method for replication on cadence v16.3. Anyway, thank you for the very distailed post babar_ali.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back