Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Placement of components

Status
Not open for further replies.

pushpamone

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,i have placed all major IC and connectors(no dxf file) according to minimum trace width rule,is their anything to be taken care more and what about data,address,clock signal traces and its placement

Reguards
prathi

Hi,
After placement you must choose critical signals(differential pairs, power signals)...then route them first as for them we have to follows design rules.
After this you can go for inter IC connections.
But Placement is the crucial part before routing.

I still did not complete with placement just IC ,connectors so i need to know how to place rest all components,can i place with reference to schematic or any other care to be taken

Hi Pushpa,
See while placement we should go according to schematic flow...but some rules are there...
Connectors must at edge of PCB, while placement analyze of routing probability, becoz routing difficulty and simplicity is totally depends on placement.
Also see if there are critical connections(diff pair, power, address) then while placement you should think of their path....
I fyou go according to schematic floe...then 50% of your work completes...

Last edited:

. place connectors, LEDs , potentiometers etc in a accesseble position .
. Place crystals/oscillators and associated parts near to ICs
. Place Decoupling capacitors nesr to ICs
. Place termination resistors, if any , depending on the type of termination.
.All componets should be placed according to schematics flow.
.All componets should be placed so that route length is minimum.

What ever it is....

once u discuss with the Electrical engineer.. according to the his suggestions u can proceed the placement,

i can suggest to place the critical components as close as possible because the critical components play the major role in the board to up.

and any discrete components alike resistors(termination) and D CAPS u place nearer and same side ....

NIKHILRAJ answer is presise and to the point.

I would only add that connectors, LEDS may have placement restriction due to enclosure requirements.

The rest is what being a PCB designer is, and a lot of it is experience, and research. Have a look around the web for things such as bypass capacitor placement, and read the data sheets and aplication notes of devices on the design. These will often contain layout examples or requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back