Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] Pin Endurance of devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstamour802

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to "wear down" a pin on a device by repeatedly writing high or low levels? Not read/write endurance of say an eeprom, but physically toggling a pin high or low.

Specifically, I want to send a reset/presence pulse to a one-wire EEPROM rapidly to determine if the one-wire device was disconnected or not, and I want to do this as fast as possible to prevent damage to a load if it is disconnected. I was thinking every 10msec or so?

If this EEPROM is connected forever and I do a reset-pulse every 10msec, would that potentially wear down the pin on the one-wire device? Is there such thing as "writing a pin too many times?"

Everything wears out eventually but you should be good for several trillion pulses before you see problems. I've got pins toggling 30,000,000,000 times a second all day and they are still working fine after several years!

It's different with memory cells but ordinary signalling pins are OK.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.