Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] Pickit3 does not program PIC16f1825

Status
Not open for further replies.

adilumer

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have just purchased a clone pickit3 (ebay) and have tried to program PIC16F1825 chip.
It does not program at all. Blankcheck reveals that it did not program.
I have used MPLAB v8.0 to v8.86 without any luck. I also tried to use the standalone software that came with the PICKIT3 but it does not work either.

Using MPLAB v8.86 I also tried to lower the voltage to 4.875V but that did not work also, I am very frustrated and don't know what I should try next. Please suggest a solution.
Thanks!

Hi,

Assume you get a message saying programmed ok rather than an actual error message ?

You say its shows nothing with a blank check, but that could be blank because of a reading fault as much as a writing fault.
Have you tried reading a different chip that does have some code on it, to prove the Pk3 can actually read properly?

Have seen some posts about Pk3 clones that are shipped with a long lead to connect between the Pk3 and target chip, if so then make up a connector as short as possible.
Also try a different USB cable.

If all else fails, you should contact the seller, some far east sellers are helpful.

Wp100 Thanks for your suggestions. Here is what I have tried so far:

Successfully programed a PIC16f688 device with the PICKit3. Was able to erase and then load the hex file into it and that hex file functions correctly with its board, and BTW I am using the stand alone software that came with it and not the MPLAB.

And I have tested programming the PIC16F1825 but the programmer told me that it needs to download a new firmware and then proceeded to install (AP 01.14.00 - 09). I am able to read the F1825 chip and then erase it but I dont get a green dot next to the chip number on the software.

I also probed the chip and there is no indications that any of the IO pins were active. I really don't know what to do next?

Thanks

Hi,

Saw your solution in the Microchip forum and have downloaded that Pk3 program as I am expecting my clone any day now.
Already on V8.92 of Mplab and also have MplabX 2.2 which should also work well with Pk3 and the very latest chips; (don't forget MPlab v8.92 was retired over a year ago)

Wp100 yes it worked and I am now able to program F1825 chips with ease using the MPLAB v8.92. I have not downloaded the Mplabx because I didn't feel the need for it yet. But may have to download it for other PIC18 series chips. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.