Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pickit2 to program PIC24f16ka102, doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

skbohra

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone confirm that I would need PICKIT3 to program the PIC24F16KA102 , tried pickit2, but mplab x is giving error

Code:
The programmer could not be started: Could not connect to tool hardware: PICkit2PlatformTool, com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.pickit2.PICkit2DbgToolManager

and PICKIT2 tab gives the following errors

Code:
Found PICkit 2 - Operating System Version 2.32.0
PICkit 2 Settings: Using target power always.
PK2Error0023:  Target Vdd measured at   4.99V which is outside the programmable range of this device (  2.00V -   3.50V)

Set PICKIT2 to program with 3.3V VDD. The PIC24F16KA102 must be programmed with a voltage between 2.00V and 3.50V and you have shown in the second message. The 4.99V used is beyond the acceptable range and may damage the PIC24F16KA102. Thus, it is not programmed.

Set PICKIT2 to program with 3.3V VDD. The PIC24F16KA102 must be programmed with a voltage between 2.00V and 3.50V and you have shown in the second message. The 4.99V used is beyond the acceptable range and may damage the PIC24F16KA102. Thus, it is not programmed.

Thanks Tahmid for a quick reply, it's a PICKIT2 clone, and I think there's no way I can set the voltage to a lower value. It's USB powered only and the target board is also powered with another USB. Is there any way out?

You need to figure out a way to bring the voltage down to 3.3v since 5v is too high. You could use an LDO to bring 5v VDD down. For data lines, maybe you could use zeners. If you upload the schematic, I can see if I can modify it for use with PIC24.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Tahmid is absolutely right; majority of the clones cannot control the Vdd levels, and since your device is 3.3v the Pickit2 refuses to program it till it sees a voltage of < 3.3 on the Vdd.

One interesting solution here:

**broken link removed**

Look at post# 306 for the solution, as also the moderator's comments in post# 309.

DO get back with a feedback if this works, for the benefit of all others using a clone.

Regards,

Anand Dhuru

I must say this is not true. PICKit2 Clone can program 3V devices. PWM controls the voltage in the ranges of 2.5 to 5V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back