Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICkit2 remove from USB? - way to shut down the USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.

max0412

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
usb voltage pickit 2

I'm not given an option thru windows to turn off the USB that the PICkit2 is connected to.

I think I may have fried one of my USB ports by just disconnecting the PICkit2 without first shutting it down.

Is there a way to shut down the USB port thru windows if windows doesn't automatically give you an option? With USB thumb drives windows will automatically give me an option to shut down the port before removal.For some reason when using the PICkit2 I'm not given safely remove hardware option.

I'm using XP home.

have i damaged my pickit 2

USB is called hot plug and play interface. It is designed for devices being plugged in and unplugged without warning. You cant hurt it or the USB device. They are designed that way.

The only reason you get a warning for flash drives is because sometimes windows caches the files and doesnt write to them in real time. You can change the properties so it does write in real time. Then you can plug them in and out at will.

max0412

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
PICkit2 remove from USB?

Hai max0412
Check your USB port with any other device. If you have really damaged the port, there is something seriously wrong with your PICkit. USB ports can deliver upto 500 ma current without pain. PicKit just draws some fraction within that range.

max0412

Re: PICkit2 remove from USB?

I checked the USB now it's working. I don't know what happened I have lots of USB ports but only two are up front.

I thought I read something somewhere that USB ports can be fried by unplugging hot devices from Transient over voltages. I figured this is why windows offers the safely remove hardware option to shut the device off.

If there is current flow through the USB cable and you unplug it there will be a voltage spike due to inductance in the cable,but there should be TVS on USB ports to clamp them.

I don't think the PIKIT2 draws all that much current with no load though.

It was just weird.

PICkit2 remove from USB?

If you can, try to run a montherboard diagnostic and see if all USB port hardware is still health.

max0412

Status
Not open for further replies.