Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] PICKit 3 In-circuit debugger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neyolight

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Heya Everyone

Well I am a newbie in this embedded world , so please bear with my naive questions!

Allright so one of my colleague at university gave me a development board ( with a programmed PIC) to connect to my analog circuit. The board comes with a LCD and shows the result. When I tried to used the programmed PIC with my circuit, the output is not what i predicted so I thought I will program the chip myself.

Just today I bought a PICkit 3 In-Circuit Debugger and downloaded MPLAB v8.80 on my laptop. So far so good. As i moved on to connect the debugger to my development board i got stuck :(

The pins on the debugger says:
1) MCLR
2) Vdd
3) Vss
4)Data Channel
5) Clock
6) PGM

AND the pins on the board says ( please note that there are only 5 male pins on the board):
1) Vcc (same as Vdd)
2) MCLR
3)GND ( same as Vss)
4) Data Channel
5) Clock

Please note that the first 2 pins ( 1 and 2) on debugger do not match with the programmed pic slot. Also there is 1 less male pin on the board. So what am i suppose to do now? I am completely lost! To my horror , the only thing i know about the PIC is that it has 40 pins ( I counted). Every label on the board has a sticker which prevent me from looking at the product number and such. 8-O:x:roll:

Can someone please help me on what can i do to connect pickit 3 debugger to my board !

Last edited:

just use fly leads to connect the corresponding pins. connect five pins of your board to corresponding pins of debugger.
hock

Use jumper wires to to connect the pickit3 to to your board (MCLR of PICKIT3 to MCLR of your board and so on). Your Board will not need PGM for programming.

Get the datasheet of whatever microcontroller there is on your developement board and see which pin goes where.

Read this:
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/227129/

ISCP protocol requires 4 pins, normally ISCP connector can also provide small amount of power to target board which makes it 5 pins. 6th pin is more like for logic analyzer (pickit can be used as one).

MCLR is reset signal
PGD is program data
PGC is program clock signal
GND is signal ground (also marked as VSS)
VCC is power supply for target board (also marked as VDD)
AUX is the auxiliary pin

Is this board Microchip branded is is this third-party (like Olimex for example)?

Thanks all! :)

@ poorchava I think the board from Microchip- thats y im astonished to see the 2 pins out of place!

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

Use jumper wires to to connect the pickit3 to to your board (MCLR of PICKIT3 to MCLR of your board and so on). Your Board will not need PGM for programming.

Why no PGM? What does PGM do?

The markings are mistaken on a board. The correct pin arrangement for ICSP is as below:
**broken link removed**
The last pin which is described as PGM is AUX (at least in Pickit 2 implementation it is marked as AUX).

Can you post a photo of you board? Or a link to this board in Microchip Direct shop?

Thanks all! :)

@ poorchava I think the board from Microchip- thats y im astonished to see the 2 pins out of place!

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

Why no PGM? What does PGM do?

Hi,

Assume you have downloaded the Pk3 users manual ? - its important to connect your board / chip in the correct manner for icsp programming and debugger operation.

The PGM pin is for LVP - Low Voltage Programming, you do not say what pic chip is on your board but doubt you would use that LVP function so just leave it disconnected.

For Microchip to fit an incorrect icsp connector to their own boards does sound unlikely.
If its a Microchip board it will have a clear Microchip legend plus a valid part number printed on it.

If you cannot identify it as a Microchip board you need to really check those connections with a meter before using the Pickt3.

Post a picture so we can see ..

You need to find datasheet for your pic, identifymclr, pgc and pgd and the take a multimeter and check which pin is which.

Ok the pins on my board says ( top to bottom):

CK
DATA
GND
MCLR
VCC

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Ok i have a feeling my board is not from microchip but is using a PIC chip :|

Hi,

Its strange that someone using a Pic would produce a non standard icsp connector ?

You make no mention of what Pic chip it uses or if its a commercial or diy board so cannot tell you exactly how to check it, but would strongly suggest you confirm that is the correct pin assignment before connecting the Pk3 - its well protect but not indestructable.

You need to trace those 5 pins back to the Pic chip and compare it to the datasheets pinout, either visually or with a test meter.

Think your 'colleague' has some explaining to do .....

Can you post a pic of the board and say what the pic chip is ?

I had a talk with my "colleague" and finally he cleared it out to me! Pheww....

The board is not from microchip and its built by him :shock:

I can get a "pin correct extension" built which will talk to my board :)

Thanks all for all your suggestion, it surely increased my knowledge on PIC! :) :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back