Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pickit 3 icsp connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

varunme

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Hi,

You say it is not detecting the device, do you mean the TPS board or a Pic chip in it ? - It does not 'see' the TPS board only a chip in it.

Seems Pk3 pin 6 is for LVP which is not needed for most chips. Where does pin6 of the TPS connector go to ? - do you have a ciruit diagram of the TPS board ?

Have you followed the Pk3 User manual and connected a 10k pull up on the Mclre line ?

What chip are you trying to program ?

I used the TPS board , with 18F4550 chip on it and connected to the pickit3
TPS board's pin6 is unconnected , means terminated below the pin base ,
anyway 10k pull up not connected ,
I am using 18F4550 .

I have to connect the 10K to the mclr and to the VDD isnt it ?

This the PC board of TPS

to sedn.jpg

Hi,

Well looking at your photo and the TPS site you have got things the wrong way round .

See the pic - that is how I would connect it up, you need to fit the jumper to complete the path to pin1 and fit the 10k resistor somewhere between pin1 and 2.

Please say if it works ok.

Attachments

• to sedn.jpg
    to sedn.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: varunme

varunme

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ok , sorry for the wrong marking of pin 1 and 6 ,
I have connected the jumper.
I will complete with the 10K resistor by tomorrow morning and inform you if it works.

---------- Post added at 22:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

when I used a 16F877a device , its detecting in pickit 3 , but when i used the 18F4550 , its not , after connecting the 10K resistor .

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

The 18F4550 , is the one i discussed here
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/223407/
, its usb not working

The 16F877a also cant be programmed with it , when i tried to burn a hex , it showed a message , memory operation of program memory failed
address 0x0 , read 0x3FFF , expected 0x2804

Last edited:

Hi,

I program both those chips with a Pk2 without any problems and just the 5 lines connected. LVP simply left unconnected.

Cannot really add anything more than the many replies you have already received in the Microchip forum other than no way should the chip be loose in the Zif socket, assume you are closing the locking lever ?

yes , that lever bounce back when i take my hand off

---------- Post added at 02:51 ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 ----------

The inability to program may be due to some problem with the pickit device ?

Hi,

Your Zif socket sounds faulty.

Would suggest you set up things on a breadboard, using the shortest leads between the Pk3 and breadboard. ie less than 150mm
Alternativley fit dil sockets to a strip board and solder them and a 6 pin connector for the Pk3.
Personally prefer a strip board with soldered connections rather than a well used, possibly loose, breadboard/wires

memory operation of program memory failed
address 0x0 , read 0x3FFF , expected 0x2804

Means it tried to Verify what it had tried to program but the results disagreed - that implies the Pk3 is working ok, just that the programming signals are getting into the chip properly , without prefect connections the high speed programming signals will not get through.

Reactions: varunme

varunme

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ok , i will try on a strip board and inform you , thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.