Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] PICKIT 2 pin-out for programming dsPIC33

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrinalmani

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have assembled a PCB with minimum requirements for dsPIC33.
To program the MUCU, I connected it to a pickit 2 programmer. Connections are as follows

Pickit ----- MCU

Vpp ----- \MCLR
Vdd ----- Vdd
GND ---- GND
PGC ----- PGC1
PGD ----- PGD1
AUX ----- Not Connected

Pickit-2 doesn't detect the MCU. Please help!

this is the connection we use for a DSPIC33EP256MU806
ProgramHeader.jpg
PGC is connected to PGEC1
PGD is connected to PGED1

and the reset circuit is
reset.jpg

if you have an oscilloscope check RESET and see if PGC is clocking etc

is you MPLAB/MPLABX up to date?

Hi,

What chip are you trying to program with the Pk2 ?

Are you using Mplab or Pk2 stand alone program V2.61 ?

Have you tried the Trouble Shooting tools within V2.61 ?

edit
Bit of a jump from a Pic16F 877a with assembler to a DSPic chip ...?

No, not a jump, a head-start! The only experience I have with Pic16F 877a is to load a program to change its port status. (Although I have worked with 8051)

The chip that I am setting up now is dsPIC33FJ06GS001
I am using Pickit-2 software for programming, not MPLAB. (Although I have MPLABX)
I dont know what to troubleshoot when my MCU itself goes undetected. Pickit reports an error: "No device detected. Ensure proper capacitance on VDDCORE/VCAP pin."

- - - Updated - - -

Or perhaps it's the oscillator connection fault. I have pulled down the OSC2 pin to ground.
I have attached the schematic of the PCB. Is there something wrong?

Attachments

• Capture24.PNG
    Capture24.PNG
    27.7 KB · Views: 358
  • picphoto.jpg
    picphoto.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Last edited:

Or perhaps it's the oscillator connection fault. I have pulled down the OSC2 pin to ground.
There's no reason to do so. If the osc2 pin is configured as I/O, there won't be a problem however. Generally you'd leave unused pins unconnected, isn't it?

The appropriate programming pins are connected to pickit, during programming. (It's not depicted in the schematic)
I cant configure anything unless the MCU can be detected and programmed. So configuring the oscillator input is not possible.

As altready stated, the oscillator circuit is functionless during programming, programming is assumed to work with any external circuitry.

There's probably a simple reason like missing power supply, flipped debug pins, defective PICkit etc.

The pickit is able to program a development board of PIC16F, so it's less likely to be faulty.
I am attaching a photo of the error flashed by pickit. Any clue as to what unknown device ID means?
How can be determine if a MCU is faulty?

Attachments

• Capture25.PNG
    Capture25.PNG
    31 KB · Views: 162

According to MPLAB it is supported by PICkit 2, but possibly not by your tool version.

According to MPLAB it is supported by PICkit 2, but possibly not by your tool version.

Hi,

Just looked at MPLAB IDE V8.92 and it shows that chip but its Red dot for the PK2, only programmable by a PK3 ..? Wonder what version you are referring to ?

Also checked PK2 V2.61 with device file 1.62.14 and it list only dsPIC33FJ06GS101, not 001.

However as the 101 is the same family/ datasheet so wonder if its possible to use that under V2.61 in Manual Select mode to program the 001 ?

Or simply buy a 101 chip which V2.61 does list as programmable by the Pk2

Last edited:
@horace1
Thanks for the link for supported devices, post #11 (Actually the last time I had cliked on that link, it didnt work)
dsPIC33FJ06GS001 is indeed not supported by pickit-2. Neither for debugging nor for 'program only'.

A similar link was available at Microchips website, but I have learnt that they took it down a while ago.
So, I have saved the content of the link as a text file and I am attaching it here (before even this link vanishes!)

Thanks everyone!
(Also... I do see the significance of placing related problems under a common hood, even if their domains are slightly different)

Attachments

• pickit2-device-list.txt
    56.8 KB · Views: 87

can we program dspic33ep256mu806 from picket2. because i didn't find it its device list.
is there any .dat file which have it.
or any information regarding "how to add it in existing .dat file".
i have tried in file editor but didn't get success.
can any body help for this.

i am trying to program it from pickit2 but pickit2 didnot detect it
can you have updated .dat file for pickit2 which has dspic33ep256mu806 in it

Status
Not open for further replies.