Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC32MX795F512L Ethernet Connection/Ethernet Firmware Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkoSiroki

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Sirs and Madams!

Can someone give me reference schematics/pcb design of PIC32MX795F512L connected to Ethernet? And can someone help me with some ideas regarding Ethernet Firmware Upgrade.

Sincerely,
Marko

Your question is not clear. Normally you would program a PIC using ICSP using a PICKIT or ICD3 debugger. No second processor is required.

Keith

Your question is not clear. Normally you would program a PIC using ICSP using a PICKIT or ICD3 debugger. No second processor is required.

Keith
No, let's me present you with my case: I am building "web-aware" audio preamplifier, which main workhorse CPU is PIC32MX795F512L (on custom made PCB board). I have webserver (configuration, settings, etc ...) running on it (just like routers work) and user connects to this webserver and configures settings. Now, apart from this tiny web server, there is a desktop linux server with mysql database containing binary firmware files (sorted according to firmware version) among other things. Now, I as developer upgrade project and build final image file for PIC32MX board - create new version of firmware and upload it to server. What I want now from PIC32 webserver, is to add "Firmware update" button (this is php, not our focus now) and when I press this button, PIC32 board connects to this mysql server and if there is a new version of firmware, downloads it using TFTP and then "installs" this firmware into PIC32 memory. Question is, do I need second CPU for upgrading PIC32MX firmware and therefore major PCB changes are needed. The PIC32MX is custom made by me. I hope I've clarified the problem.

Sincerely,
Marko

It sounds to me like you need a bootloader. It will allow you to update the firmware of the PIC through USB, serial or whatever.

There are some on Microchip's web site and other independent ones, some of which allow encrypting of the firmware image.

**broken link removed**

Keith

It sounds to me like you need a bootloader. It will allow you to update the firmware of the PIC through USB, serial or whatever.

There are some on Microchip's web site and other independent ones, some of which allow encrypting of the firmware image.

**broken link removed**

Keith

Keith, thank you very much!!! Did not see that Application Note, very interesting reading. But, I am still confused. Why then, for instance, PIC32 Ethernet Starter Kit, has, according to User's Manual's schematic of this board, second CPU for programming the main one. Why I am asking this is, because in Application Note you gave me link to it there is not need for 2nd CPU mentioned!

Sincerely,
Marko

A normal microcontroller program is placed at the reset vector (usually address zero) and your code starts there. Programming is by ICSP (or I think you can program a PIC32 through JTAG). If you want to program it through USB, SPI, RS232 etc then you need to so something different. A bootloader is some extra code which you can write yourself, but there is ready made code for you, which resides at the reset vector and runs before your code. It detects a request to reprogram the micro and re-writes the flash with the new code (while being careful to not overwrite itself). If you want to program by USB, SPI, RS232 etc without a bootloader then you need something else to take the data from the USB... and program the PIC through the ICSP pins.

To allow you to write and test code for the development boards without using a bootloader, but still using something other than ICSP, Microchip include a second micro to do the programming. If you use bootloader code then you can do it without the extra micro/

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.