Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic32 UART RX ISR for unknown length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinoth14

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Can any one help me to solve PIC32 RX ISR for unknown data length.

Thanks in advance

regards
Vinoth M.

Hi,

Can any one help me to solve PIC32 RX ISR for unknown data length.

Thanks in advance

regards
Vinoth M.

you could use a ring buffer, e.g.
https://www.embedded.com/electronics-blogs/embedded-round-table/4419407/The-ring-buffer

even if data flow speed is variable so long as you can empty the buffer before it becomes full there is no problem

what happens when you get overflow (buffer full) ? could you
1. thorw away the oldest data?
2. ignore some of the imcomming data?
3. implement hardware or software flow control?

what processing do you have to do on the incomming data?

You could look into a (doubly) linked list - so think of it as a dynamic array if you don't know about it. Look it up. Keep in mind the efficiency requirements of allocating memory on the fly and for traversing the list if you have time-critical stuff.

Use malloc() and free() to allocate and deallocate space for your data structure (blocking). This way you can, while not necessarily ideal, keep adding elements until you run out of memory.

More details on your design target will help give better answers. :smile:

you could use a ring buffer, e.g.
https://www.embedded.com/electronics-blogs/embedded-round-table/4419407/The-ring-buffer

even if data flow speed is variable so long as you can empty the buffer before it becomes full there is no problem

what happens when you get overflow (buffer full) ? could you
1. thorw away the oldest data?
2. ignore some of the imcomming data?
3. implement hardware or software flow control?

what processing do you have to do on the incomming data?

HI,

I want to receive data from modbus simulator and the same data is to be transmitting to same uart port.

HI,

I want to receive data from modbus simulator and the same data is to be transmitting to same uart port.

what speed are you receiving/transmitting data?

if it is just a question of receiving data and transmitting it onwards do you need to buffer it at all?

e.g. in an interrupt service routine receive a character and retransmit it (ssuming you are transmitting at the same or faster speed than receiving)

if you need to buffer data and do some processing could you double buffer it, e.g.

1. using DMA receive data into one buffer
while
2. processing data in second buffer and then transmitting it?

what speed are you receiving/transmitting data?

if it is just a question of receiving data and transmitting it onwards do you need to buffer it at all?

e.g. in an interrupt service routine receive a character and retransmit it (ssuming you are transmitting at the same or faster speed than receiving)

if you need to buffer data and do some processing could you double buffer it, e.g.

1. using DMA receive data into one buffer
while
2. processing data in second buffer and then transmitting it?

Hi,

I made one mistake in my previous post, Whatever the data is receiving from ModBUS simulator I want to transmit it to other port.

I'm using 9600bps Baudrate.
I want to hold the data in second buffer. (I'm not indeed to use DMA)

if you are receiving data and then immediatly retransmitting it why do you need a second buffer? are you doing further processing in the PIC32?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back