Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC24(+3.3V operated) interfacing with other +5V devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

arup

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,

I am planning to use few +5V devices(which were already used in my older project) in my new project with PIC24 chip.My project is based on PIC24FJ128GA110.I want to drive certain +5V operated devices like MUX - hef4067 , Shift register - 74hc595 etc...Can I use Digital i/os of pic24 (+3.3 V micro) to directly drive the control pins of those +5V operated devices ??What I understand is to use those pins i need to ensure following:

a) Those pins need to be configured as opendrain in firmware.They will be l pulled up by external resistors to +5v
b) These pins need to be any digital only pin .They shouldn't be ANx pin.

Pls correct me if i m wrong and also suggest if other precautions has to be taken.

What are the general consideration where 3.3 V operated Micro has to be ineterfaced with +5V operated devices in the Application

Thanks & Regards,
Arup

Hi Arup,
arup said:
a) Those pins need to be configured as opendrain in firmware.They will be l pulled up by external resistors to +5v
b) These pins need to be any digital only pin .They shouldn't be ANx pin.

That's exactly right. And the PIC24 also tolerates +5V inputs on certain pins in case you need to read data from your 5V peripherals.

Keep in mind that the digital inputs on your peripherals have a certain capacitance which will form an RC circuit with your pullup resistors. This makes open-drain outputs somewhat slower. If you use 1k pullups and keep your signals less than a few megahertz, I guess you won't have any trouble.

Regards,
Chris

Using 3.3V compatible 74HCT is possibly a better solution, particularly for higher signal speeds. It also saves the energy for the pull-ups.

I have same question with a dsPIC33 circuit (3.3V)
i'm thinking of connecting a MAX232 which runs on 5V to connect to dsPIC33 pins.
I suppose a resistor for MAX232 out to dsPIC of maybe 1k?, inputs should be able to directly connect, or need a level converter (transistor? )
don't want to risk the dsPIC chip so just checking with the forum braintrust
:D first.......

Microchip has some great documentation that addresses these issues on their web site:
3V Tips 'n Tricks: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/41285A.pdf
3V Newsletter: **broken link removed**
Don't pay for level translators in systems using multiple power-supply voltages**broken link removed**
3V Design Center:**broken link removed**

It would be a good idea to take a look at datasheets. MAX232 have a TTL input level specification and can interface with 3.3V CMOS
logic outputs without needing level translation or open drain drivers.

MAX3232 can, and will operate on 3V supply (I'm running one on 2.7V, using it as a level translator - PIC16F877A -> MAX 232 -> MAX3232 -> Telit GM862 GPS)

2.7V obtained by zener/resistor combination :)

Status
Not open for further replies.