Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC18F4620 high current problems. Close to 1A

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherise

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PIC18F4620

I am using PIC18F4620 on my circuit board but keep on having high current problems. Close to 1Amperes.

There are only LCD, PIC18F4620 and MAX756 on the board. Now add in servo but the current get higher and higher.

Does anyone know any possible reasons why do i keep having high current?

PIC18F4620

the servo and the LCD may consume a lot of current close to what you mentioned, i do suspect in the servo motor, check them with ammeter.
good luck

Re: PIC18F4620

I have friends who are doing the same project as mine. But her doesn't need high current.

Hi.

Something sounds very wrong - I wonder if you are measuring the currents correctly ?

The Max chip can only give out about 200ma from 2 AA batteries so I cannot see how that is going to supply 1A at 5v ...?

Also you do not mention anything about things getting hot or smoking ? - at 1A something should be getting red hot.

Go back to basics, find a good 5v source or 3 AA batteries, connect up just your Pic chip, it should use about 7 - 10 ma, if Ok add the LCD, without any backlight, this should add another 7 - 10ma.

When you connect the lcd do you get a valid display ?

What is the servo motor you are using - what interfaces it with the Pic ??

Tomorrow i will check the connection when i reach school. Yes, i get a valid display for my LCD. But its not stable as in when i ON/OFF the power supply, i am not able to get the display at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.