Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic18f4550 bootloader is not working, Can I reprogram it using ISP or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeswanth123

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am all new to microcontrollers. I have a dev kit with pic18f4550, The pic came with a boot loader which was invoked or started by pressing the buttons given on the board. The problem - It was given in the documentation that the pic mcu must have hs+pll, hs usb configuration for crystal / oscilator to work. So I have changed the oscillator config bits in the mplab and eported the hex file and programmed it using a USB wire connected to pc.

Bootloader was supposed to reprogram the chip using USB wire, Now the bootloader is not working and I am also not able to write to the pic using the usb wire since bootloader is not working.

Is it that the chip is damaged because I used a wrong conf bit for the osscilator or is it that the bootloader is erased and so I need an external hardware such as ISP to reprogram the chip with a bootloader hex and continue using the bootloader laterz?

Please do reply me.

Thanks a lot

The difference between wrong fuses and erased bootloader doesn't matter much. In both cases, you'll need to reprogram it with an ISP adapter.

You'll need of course a bootloader hex file. I my opinion, a good bootloader should be protected against accidental overwrite, by the way.

its rare for a PIC to get damaged
you can use the JDM programmer with picpgm software to reprogram the PIC18F2550
you can get the picpgm software from here
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.