Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC USART-HyperTerminal problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

asp1987

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hyperterminal problem

Hi..
I am trying to make an sms based appliance control system (found a lot of details from this site) using pic and an old nokia mobile(fbus). I was trying to see if the pic was sending out correct bytes by connecting it to hyperterminal at 115200 baud rate. The program was to send 128 'U's and then the following bytes in order:
1E 00 0C D1 00 07 00 01 00 03 00 01 60 00 72 D5...
HT showed this.
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Ñ`rÕ

The 'U's are correct but others i don't understand..A program XVI32 showed this 'Ñ`rÕ' as D1 01 03 01 60 72 D5.Also the last character of 'U' sequence as 1E.
Why are the other bytes missing?

Please help.. I don't know how to interpret these..

usart + hyperterminal

I don't understand the question. Most characters you send are no "printable" characters, they are not displayed at Hyperterminal, what do you expect to see?

asp1987

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
pic usart hyperterminal

Use a terminal program that lets you see the data in hex form, like serial watcher(receive only)

usart hyperterminal setting

Oh... thank you...
i did not know that HyperTerminal couldn't display all bytes.sorry for the naive question.. so u mean bytes like 0x07 do not have any character equivalents? how can i know which all bytes can be represented in HyperTerminal?
N thanks for the 'serial program' too..

usart hyperterminal

0x00 .. 0x1f are generaly unprintable, values above 0x80 may be displayed, possibly as cryptic characters, depending on the terminal emulation in effect.

Hyperterminal will translate the hexadecimal value you sent it using the standard that you can setup in options. ANSI is one of the most common standar languages, similar to ASCII

Status
Not open for further replies.