Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC programming software for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKnight

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which software is recommended for programming pic for beginners. And when you recommend one can you please tell me what hardware do I need to have and how to upload it on the PIC. I have made .hex files several times but don't know what do I need to upload it to the PIC. That's why I'm asking you to tell me which software are you using and how you upload it to the PIC. Thanks.

Re: PIC software program

ok so basically you have the pic already???????

you will need a pic programmer, personally i have the Willem advanced eeprom programmer works with my 16F84A

go to ebay and search for pic programmer, make sure the one you get supports the chip you have, or the chip your going to get :D

then you simply plug the chip into the programmer , hook it up to the computer either with USB or PARRALEL whichever it supports then use the software that came with the programmer to 'load' the hex and then 'write' it to the pic

Hope this helps

Chris ramsay

OK, thanks. :)

Hi,

I would recommend getting a PICKIT2. You can get it from Microchip. If you're going to be using PICs, this is very good, as it supports all PICs and will keep on supporting newer PICs with upgrades. Plus it has a USB-interface, so connecting it is easy, because, you may not find serial or parallel ports on newer PCs.

Product Search - microchipDIRECT

For the compiler, I recommend using mikroC or mikroBASIC. It is very easy to get started with and is a good compiler.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Yes, I already have mikroC and been considering about PICKIT2 just don't know which one to choose from eBay. Don't know what PICs it supports. Somewhere it says that is universal just like Tahmid said. Anyway, how about this?

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Hi,

It looks ok, but as some folk have found the ebay clones can lead to disappontment, perhaps someone can say if this has proven to be a good one ??

The genuine Microchip Pickit2 is a sure fire buy and is well guaranteed / supported.

Contrary to what Tahmid has just said the Microchip Pk2 and all of its clones using its software will, as I understand it, be no longer supported regarding new chips.
Certain high end and Pic32 chips cannot be programmed with the Pk2, though some private folk are adding to the device list for the more common newer 16F chips.

The Microchip Pickit3 is the latest version that is fully supported and its price is coming down; though my choice for would still be the Pk2.

Ita an old argument about what programming method is best, but many still think starting with assember gives a better understanding about the more detailed working of the Pic chips.

Also you can buy large boards with all the bells and whistles but you could start with something much simpler and build on that.
Here is a typical Assembler tutorial with matching hardware to create the projects - just one of many out there.
Nigel's PIC Tutorial Page

Yeah, thought about that. Anyway, I was looking for the Pickit2 and is this what I will need

The one from 49.99$ or 25.99$? Thanks.

I'm also a PIC beginner myself, I bought PICkit3 - using it with MPLAB and HI-TECH C.
I've been using this for programming PIC12, PIC16 & PIC18 and no problems so far.

regards.

Yeah, thought about that. Anyway, I was looking for the Pickit2 and is this what I will need

The one from 49.99$ or 25.99$? Thanks.

Assume you are looking at a north american version of Microchips site, the Pickit2 with the lo count demo board is a simple chip to get you started with a little prototyping area you will probably outgrow in a week or two.
The other board is just the demo board without the Pk2.

Be careful about Microchip directs carriage charges, can be very high.

Look around at some of your big distrubutors,they will probably be a better delivered cost, I found my local supplier selling the both the Pk2 and Pk3 their own with little price difference between the two.

This is agood value Zif socket board to match the Pk2/3
**broken link removed**

I would highly recommend the ICD3 combined with a PICDEM2, the total comes to about £150 but this can be reduced by 25% if you have a student e-mail address ( .ac.uk) ...
This ICD is the best bit of kit that I have used with PICs as it will work will all of there available chips, all the way up to the PIC32.
I would also recommend using MPLab IDE with the ICD3 as it was designed to be used with it and as such works very well.

I use the ICD3 in a professional environment on a day to day basis and have never had any problems - other than poor code on my behalf :p

Pete

@wp100 - The MCU Univerzal ZIK socket - that works with PICkit 2 / 3 Programmer? MPLab IDE is used for programming it? And if it can program the 16 series or maybe even other will definetily buy it.
@Pheetuz - Yeah, I encountered that but am not willing to pay that much yet. If I get started going will definetily buy it.
Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.