Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Programming Problems - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultradynamic

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
serial pic programmer does not see recognise pic

Please see attachement.

I have recently bought a PIC programmer VM111 and I am trying to program a PIC with it, using a demo program that was provided on the CD that came with it. I have also bought a USB to serial converter, as my laptop does not have COM ports. The converter was installed OK and the software can recognise the board but I am still getting problems. The PIC will not program. I have tried 2 PICs and each PIC has cost me about £4 from Maplin. I don’t know what the problem is. Could it be the board and if it is then could the board be damaging the PICs.

1. I select the program to compile and then click assemble. I have followed the notes and information provided that state – set up should be as below (see attachment)

2. I then follow the instructions provided in the help menu in PIC programmer. The setup is as follows (see attachment).

3. I switch the switch on the PIC programmer board to PROG. Then I click on “write” and wait. The text in the “Activity:” box changes in the following order.

Erasing…

Code and IDs erased

Contr-Add: 0000

Then I get the following write error message (see attachment)

I have also clicked on verify code and I get the following error message (see attachment):

common problems with pic program

have u checked the MCLR pin? it must have stable 12 Volt during programming..

my guess is..
you using USB <-> RS232 converter, try on another computer that have a real RS232 port, and see if it work properly..(sometimes USB <-> RS232 converter cannot provide enough voltage to enter the chip into HV programming mode).

see if your programmer board has a DC input..if its have, then connect a DC power supply to this jack (beware the polarity and voltage required for the board).

sorry for my bad english, and hope this can give u a clear info..

best regards

vm111 write error

If you are really serious not to waste time and use it rather for programming, my sincere advise would be to buy one PICKIT2
Incidentally, if you reside in UK and a reader of EPE magazine, you might know that PICIT is offered at cocessional rate at around 10pounds
even other wise a PICKIT2 would cost you $35+.
Now, if you are interested in additional facilities like a tutor for PIC chips , just see JUNEBUG at www.blueroomelectronics..com this is a mini version of PICKIT and it can program all 5V Flash microconntrollers of Microchip, and offer you on board 18F1320 as tutor.

otherwise, try to locate a desktop PC where a com/ parallel port could be mode use of. now a days you can get used equipments cheap. The USB to com or parallel interfaces don't work for the type of work you are In.
Sarma

junebug pic programmer voltage error

Hi thanks everyone who replied. I did manage to solve the problem. It was a USB- COM port adapter issue. I changed it for another adapter and it worked fine.

:) thanks all.

pic18f4550 progrming problem

Ultradynamic said:
Hi thanks everyone who replied. I did manage to solve the problem. It was a USB- COM port adapter issue. I changed it for another adapter and it worked fine.

:) thanks all.

Please indicate the brand and model number of the adopter that worked for you, so that others can also be benefited from your case study.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back