Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC or AVR - which is the better choice for programming in linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodstanur

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Any PIC C compiler available for linux?
Or is it better to select AVR in this case ?

You missed out the BIG one - MPLABX from Microchip. It's still in beta stage but already being used commercially. See **broken link removed**

Brian.

Hi Brian,

I've tested MPLABX with a few sample projects that I have previously finished and released. I have to say it is still in Beta release for a reason.

However, you're correct it maybe a viable option in the near future. I just personally prefer not to straddle that "cutting edge of technology."

BigDog

Does AVR have any advantage compared to PIC ? (looking through linux)

I believe the choice between using PIC or AVR MCUs should largely be based on the intended application. There are numerous stable C Compiler distros for LINUX available for both targets.

BigDog

I am trying to learn linux and planning to avoid windows..Now I am in doubt if I should move to AVR (from PIC).

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

There are numerous stable C Compiler
thanks for this information @bigdogguru

I use both PIC and AVR as well as several other devices. They both have their strong and weak points. You should be able to effectively development applications for either MCU on LINUX.

Base your choice on the intend application, not the development platform.

BigDog

I am trying to learn linux and planning to avoid windows..Now I am in doubt if I should move to AVR (from PIC).

If I understand correctly you are already familiar with PIC and you have used them in the past, in that case I think it would be better for you to stick to what you are already familiar with and just try to get used to the (possibly) new IDE environment and the linux OS.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back