Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC MICROCONTROLLER HAVING TWO VDD AND VSS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveshece

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI,

WHY PIC MICROCONTROLLER HAVING TWO VDD AND VSS ?

PLEASE HELP.

Hi naveshece,

I'm not sure but may be to draw more current that a single pin can't handle or may be to simplify PCB design:!:(LOL).

I think they have just used spare pins on the package to ease pcb layout. Not 100% on this. I know they work with either connected, but I still try to use both. Useful if you need to transfer power across the chip to save long track runs.

This is done to improve the dynamic current distribution inside the chip.Also I think more Vss is better for high frequencies.

Amr

Hi,
As elmuhamady sayd; to improve the dynamic current distribution, and for less "ground bouncing", because PICs are builded as CMOS ICs; they switches with relative high-speed & more high currents trough transition times as a "normal 8051".....
This current knock/push makes disturbances/potential swifts in resistances & inductances of GND/Vcc lines_called GND-bounces...
Their are to eliminate-minimum to become smaller_ trough more or parallel used pins.
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.