Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic low voltage programming with pickit2

Status
Not open for further replies.

devil6600

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have built a circuit with pic16f877a, how can i program it using low voltage programming? can it be done using pickit2. i don't have pickit2, but if it can be done i'll buy one.

low voltage because i don't want to damage the other components on board

thanks

High voltage programming doesn't damage other components because the high voltage only goes on the PIC MCLR pin. You can program it with a low voltage though provided your Vcc is 5V. https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39589C.pdf You need some sort of programmer though.

Keith.

As Keith mentioned, if your PIC circuit is wired correctly, the PICkit 2 will not damage any component during programming. The PICkit 2 is actually a nice programmer/debugger, a good choice for an entry level unit and has several nice features.

Here's the PICkit 2 product page:

**broken link removed**

Contains all the documentation concerning the PICkit 2 as well as its device support list, which includes the PIC 16F877A.

PICkit 2 User's Manual:

PICkit™ 2 Programmer/Debugger User's Guide

PIC 16F877A Product Page, always obtain the latest datasheet for your MCU:

PIC16F87XA Data Sheet

The datasheet usually has example circuits for clock, programming pins, etc.

The ICSP Guide:

In-Circuit Serial Programming™ (ICSP™) Guide

PROGRAMMING THE PIC16F87XA

The info above should answer any questions you have concerning your PIC 16F877A, the PICkit 2 would be a good choice.

Ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.