Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic bootloader code protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

devil6600

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have made a bootloader for pic18 microcontroller which is read protected. bootloader accepts encrypted firmware, is it possible that one can erase my bootloader, programs his custom bootloader and reads all the program memory where the actual(functional) firmware is stored..
i am worried that my customers can erase my bootloader, programs their bootloader and reads my firmware, how can i make it more secure?

If the code protection configuration bits are turned of, all the code in the program memory is lost. Your code will be safe with code protection

remember there is code protection and flash protection, (depending on the pic18 but i think it's very common)
the code proteccion blocks further reading and programming from ICSP. (external programming)
flash proteccion blocks reads or writes (i think you can configure individualy the areas of read-block and write-block) form internal reading writing (like the areas from your bootloader)

BTW which pic are you using???

remember there is code protection and flash protection, (depending on the pic18 but i think it's very common)
the code proteccion blocks further reading and programming from ICSP. (external programming)
flash proteccion blocks reads or writes (i think you can configure individualy the areas of read-block and write-block) form internal reading writing (like the areas from your bootloader)

BTW which pic are you using???

thanks for the information. i am using pic18f4550
where can i read more about flash protection, i want to read protect memory space where firmware will be stored and write protect bootloader space

Review the code protection chapter in datasheet paragraph 25.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back