Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC BASIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imalu3055

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there!

I need to edit a .BAS file from a PIC16F628A microcontroller and nMicrochip no longer provides an editor. There is one from Microcode Mecanique but its value is approximately 270 Dollars, very expensive for the use that I will give it. Does anyone know a simple and free editor?

Thanks,

Claudio

Hi,

Isn't a .bas file a simple text file?
Then it may be edited with every text editor you like.

Klaus

Hi Klaus !!

Once edited it must be compiled .BAS ->. HEX and then I save the PIC.
(The transmitter works perfect)

Claudio

Have you tried a Google search for "pic basic compiler" - when I did it showed several options (unfortunately also including the Microchip's one that is not now available) some that are free and some that have a cost.
However, check to see if there are 'extensions' (to the syntax or compiler capabilities etc.) that are expected by the source you have.
Frankly, the quickest way to move forward may be to convert this to C and use one of the free compilers (XC8 from Microchip as a suggestion). This may require that you study the original source and fully understand it before you start to create the equivalent C source, but that means you will be able to support it better into the future as well.
Susan

Hi,
Once edited it must be compiled .BAS ->. HEX and then I save the PIC.
The initial question was just about an editor.

For sure you need a compiler.....and many other things...

Are there still questions?

Klaus

the first lines beginning the BAS file generally tells you about the compiler that was used.

The cheapest PIC BASIC compiler I know of is at www.oshonsoft.com and there is a limited trial version you can experiment with. It is far less expensive than $270, more like one tenth of that.

As a compiler it works well but and the debugging functions are quite good but it has a feeling of "written in MS BASIC" about it and the debugger runs painfully slow.

Brian.

[edit] cost for compilers for all PIC families is 29 Euros (about $29).

Hello Betwixt!!!

A cost of 30 Euros is balanced with the use that I will give it. I appreciate the information.

Greetings,
Claudio

great cow basic is completely free (and open source)

Hello Kripton2035!

COW BASIC is very interesting. The only problem that I have several programs developed on the Pic Basic Pro Golden platform and the COW is not compatible. But hey ... I liked the Cow Basic.

Thank you,

Claudio

Then you have a decision: 1) pay for the PIC Basic Compiler; 2) find a free Basic compiler that takes the PIC Basic code; or 3) understand the code you have and then change whatever is needed to make it compatible with the Cow Basic compiler.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back