Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC based A/V meter with V/F converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjpompeo

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic based voltage to current converter

Looking for a Voltage and Current meter using a PIC or AVR and a 1 x 16 LCD with Voltage to frequency converter to convert the real output voltage and current into frequencies that will be informed as Volt and Amp on the LCD. The ranges are 0-30V with 10mV steps and 0-5A with 1mA steps.

Regards and a happy new year to all

Fernando - call sign PU2PLL - Brazil

Hi fjpompeo

Your project it´s very hardware dependable, considering you will need a 12 bit converter for voltage measurement and a 13 bit converter to reach the 1mA step in a 0 to 5A range. Take in mind that to handle suchs resolutions you will need the best ratio in temperature coefficient and tolerances in the discrete components you are going to use.
I will suggest the AD650JN from Analog Devices,
its a 14 bit resolution V/F Converter
Very Low Nonlinearity
0.002% typ at 10 kHz
0.005% typ at 100 kHz
0.07% typ at 1 MHz
Input Offset Trimmable to Zero

You will get full data at:

Analog Devices

Best regrds,

Humber555 :D

hi,
I know that it is a very late reply
but I'm still a new user
I'm working on a same similiar project but somehow big.
It is a harmonic analyser using a uC, I used pic16f877 but I have a problem is measuring the current from a working system without interrupt or a gret power loss. So, if you can help plz do so
THANK a lot

My suggestion is that you select A/D converter of 16bit resolution (after conversion you can ignore some LMBs) and select reference in such a way that each bit represents ,say , 1mV, 0.5mV etc. It just makes live easier.

Also, maybe I am missing something here, but:
Having HEX values after A/D conversion why are you going to convert this to frequecy and then display it on the LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.