Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Assembly: operations on variables larger than 1 byte

Status
Not open for further replies.

T3STY

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am having a delay routine that goes like this:
Code:
Delay
	ORG 0x0C
	_delay RES 3

MOVLW	0x40
	MOVWF	_delay
	MOVLW	0x42
	MOVWF	_delay+1
	MOVLW	0x0F
	MOVWF	_delay+2

_delay_loop
	DECFSZ _delay, f
	GOTO _delay_loop
RETURN
The whole value within the 3bytes is 1 million which from calculations it should waste 1 second on a 4MHz main clock (1MHz real). Although, when I run this code it will end before 1 million cycles (actually, pretty fast) and I suppose the DECFSZ instruction only works on the first byte of variable _delay.
Thus the question: operations on variables larger than 1 byte will affect only the first byte of the variable? If not, what's wrong in the code I wrote that makes it vanish so fast?

The 8 bit processors only operate on bytes. Unless you have a processor that can operate on pairs of bytes (some can do 16 bit arithmetic) you must manipulate larger numbers yourself.

Keith

Reactions: T3STY

T3STY

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
OK, thank you very much Keith!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back