Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic 18f458........LCD keypad interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

NARENDRA1234

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
we are interfacing 8 bit LCD and 4*4 keypad to PIC 18f458.its having in built 10 bit adc.so my doubt is ,whether its possible to read or to display data on 8 bit LCD from 10 bit ADC.I mean ADC is converting analog signal into 10 bit data as its a 10 bit ADC,so is it ok to use 8 bit LCS for this?Or its nothing to do with 10 bit ADC ....please help....:sad:

from my understanding the resolution of your adc conversion does not have anything to do with how u drive the lcd. if u want to use 10bit adc and connect your lcd in 8bit mode no problem if it is in 4 bit mode no problem. the problem comes from hw u wqant the result from ur adc be displayed and u have to take care in when u are doing the justification from ur adc result. make sure ur variable are within the scope of the vaues you are going to get. dont use a byte when u re going to be displaying decimal (floating) result. hope dis help?

yes it is possible the 10bit adc is the resolution of adc conversion it is independent of the lcd connection interface. you can either us e the 4bit databus(d4-d7) connection mode if u want to save pins usage on micro or u use the eight data bus(d0-d8) if u have enuf pins to play with. what matter most hw u justify ur adc result and selecting variables that are needed. dont use a byte when u need to display results that require a decimal point(float) after the significant figures. and dont allocate variable anyhow so dt u dont consume the memory in your micro

Status
Not open for further replies.