Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] PIC 16F876A DS1307 I2C Sleep Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf12

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm using a tiny RTC module to get time and I want to make the micro controller sleep when not in use.
With SDA and SCK of tiny RTC disconnected from 16F876A I get a sleep current of 0.25mA. Pull ups are 10K.
With SDA and SCK connected I get a sleep Current of 1.7mA. Pull ups are 10K.
If I change pull ups to 470K Sleep current is 0.25mA. The device functions with 470K. But I haven't seen anyone using 470k. Is 470K too much?
Also with 10K pullups, If I just disconnect GND from tiny RTC sleep current is 0.25mA.
With 470K pullups, GND disconnected, Sleep current is 0.70mA

Is it ok to disconnect GND using a transistor with data lines still connected to tiny RTC?

I need the lowest possible sleep current.

Also is it possible to lower the sleep current more. Currently I have disabled ADC, timers, Comparators, All interrupts except RB0, And tied all IO pins to +ve or -ve and set the ports as inputs.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.