Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic 16f84a programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

smm4k

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic16f84a programmer

hi, i am a newbie in pic and can someone help me with the best design and a working software for pic 16f84a programmer in order to load my hex files into the controller? i will appreciate, thank you.
smm4k

16f84a

Hi,

The best programmer around for the hobbyist is Microchips Pickit2.

You can buy them from Microchip or local suppliers as a basic programmer or with little starter /debugger pcbs.

You can also buy as kits or ready made units many of the Pickit2 clones for places like Sure Electronics, AU Electronics etc etc.

Blueroom Electronics do a little Pickit2 clone kit with a mini development board.

Although you say you just need to program the little 84A, you will probably soon want to program better chips which need a first rate programmer like the Pickit2.

Don't waste you time with the JDM and Pro16 parallel port programmers - they never work 100% - been there, done that !

You could also build your own Pickit2 programmer, there is loads of recent threads on this forum about doing that, the only problem is you need to have the main chip programmed up in the first place.

pic 16f84 programmer

thanks for you reply. However i want to build my own programmer instead of buying a kit which will take a long time shipping it here in kenya, africa.

16f84 programmer

Hi,

Well a cut down diy version of the Pickit2 is the best option, but a couple of the parts might be difficult for you top find locally and as I said before you do need to program its chip to make it work.

It is simple to build - as you can see from the pics.

Really avoid the JDM serial programmers.

The pdf shows a diy programmer based on the Pro16 parallel port.
It uses easily found parts and does work with limitations, but should be ok for what you need for now.

diy pic16f84 programmer

When I see 16F84 it usually means they live somewhere where nothing better is available. In this case it's Kenya.

I would suggest a WinPICProg by Nigel Goodwin (parallel port) based programmer. It's primitive but has a better track record than JDM programmers.

http://www.winpicprog.co.uk

jdm programmer 16f84a

blueroomelectronics said:
When I see 16F84 it usually means they live somewhere where nothing better is available. In this case it's Kenya.

I would suggest a WinPICProg by Nigel Goodwin (parallel port) based programmer. It's primitive but has a better track record than JDM programmers.

http://www.winpicprog.co.uk
Luckily , he said PIC16F84A and not plain F84. so perhaps he can still aim for any pickit2 clone
then comes another externally powered JDM that works well , designed by DL4YHF

the OP can Google for it. It is rather a simple design.

jdm 16f84

thanks all for your help, i appreciate, will try it out and if it works i will let you know.

programmer 16f84

jaychow said:
very good PIC Programmer

**broken link removed**

PIC Development

**broken link removed**

For less than $59 get a programmer that is MPLAB compatible like the PICkit2 or my Junebug.

Status
Not open for further replies.