Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Physical Compiler v/s Astro

Status
Not open for further replies.

chetanbs

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
design compiler physical compiler

Hello,
Can anyone tell the actual usage of Synopsys Physical Compiler and Astro in the whole design flow? Where are these used in particular and how can we get the best out of them etc.,

Thanks in advance,
Chetan

Physical compiler is used primarily for placement and placement optimisation. In a synopsys flow for Asic design, The CTS, Routing are done with Astro. Timing optimisation can be done with PC. The latest tool from Synopsys - ICCompiler does the entire thing - it essentially is a PC-Astro flow.

chetanbs

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Physical compiler is mainly used for placement. It can also be used for clock tree insertion when design fanout of clock tree is small. In brief PC is closer to design compiler in the flow.
Astro is used for CTS and routing
:idea:

chetanbs

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi ,

I am more like a Front end guy .. please correct me if i am wrong ...

P.C : is logic optimization tool based on placement where as DC don't have placement information . PC take floor plan (either from jupitor or any other floor plan engine) ....
P.C algorithms are different than which used in astro ( infact one can do optimization in astro too .. )
Austro : is power full too for CTS and Routing toll , still it can do optimization but not as powerful as PC .

If you don't have any issues with timing one need not to use PC at all . If anyone facing issues in doing timing closer after placement they can use PC .

please correct me if any thing wrong in my understanding ....

Thanks & Regards
yln

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back