Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Photonic band gap - advise on design and simulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Element7k

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Photonic band gap

Hi all,

will like to discuss and get advise on design and simulation technqiues of photonic/electronic bandgap (EBG) with anyone out interested in this material.

Any comments will be very much appreicated.

Cheers,
Element7k

Hi Element7k,

I am in this area. Could you please tell something first, so that we can have the basis to begin.

Thanks & Regards

ToToKevin

Is somebody of you doing full-band monte-carlo simulation on electronic devices ?

I am interested in this topic. I am also interested of simulation of photodetectors. Some people use an Los Alamos monte-carlo program, MCNP, to calculate the absorbed energy per time unit and area-unit. Is somebody using that ?

In bandstructrure I've been doing some EPM, but I've also looked at first principles simulation, DFT.

The purpose for doing bandstructure calculation, for you people that don't know about these stuff, is to get the correct effective masses for holes and electrones. Then through semi-classical monte-carlo simulation one can get the correct electron and hole mobilities by fitting some parameters in the montecarlo simulation to some measured experimental parameters.

Then you can simulate (more or less) an arbitrary electronic device.
Regards,
StoppTidigare

Re: Photonic band gap

hi element7k...I am also working in this field. I will be glad to discuss with you

maybe as a starting point for the discussion. Currently we are using Fullwave and Bandsolve from Rsoft company. Fullwave is a nice and easy to use 2D/3D FDTD code. After years of experience with it, I shall say that I am quite happy with it and we have used it quite a lot in our publications. On the other hand Bandsolve calculates the band diagrams. group velocities and such stuff. Let me know which software you are using. and what are your experiences with that package

In recent issue of microwave journal, you may find a review paper on photonic band gap. you may download it after registeration.
regards

In recent issue of microwave journal, you may find a review paper on photonic band gap. you may download it after registeration.
regards

Hi all,
I am very new to this subject of PBG materials.I am just a month old here.I just know how the gaps appear in the dispersion relation due to periodic variation of the dielectric constant and that these materials can be used as substrates on which microstrip antennas can be printed to suppress the surface waves and nothing more.I have been asked to study and simulate some microstrip antenna structures on PBG materials to suppress surface waves as a part of my Masters project.

I have no tool to calculate the bandgaps from the geometry specified.Any advise will be of great help to me.Are there any good software or even guidelines to write a code to help me calculate bandgaps from the geometry.Thanks .

-Arun

fasaghandis said:
regards

Fasaghandis, I wonder which journal you're talking about. Thanks.

its website is
www.mwjournal.com
you must at first register and then you can download several free papers
best regards

So I can see the dates are so old in this post.. Is there any one still working in PGB/EBG and interested in discussion?

I am still working on PBG too :)

Are there any 1D EBG structures can be used in microstrip antenna?
Many EBG stuctrues are used in power dividers or microstrip lines to reduce the dimensions.
I can't find any. who can help me? thanks!

Hi all,

Could you recommend some good books on photonic band gap to me?

Thanks in advance.

There is a free FDTD solver at **broken link removed** It can solve scattering problems of periodic structures, which is suited for PBG problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back