Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phasor Representation of voltage and current waveforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsman

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am bit confused with the Phasor representation of voltages and currents. Does the magnitude of the phasor length is RMS value or Peak value? Please advise.

Hi,

Peak.
It's a (rotating) vector. So the maximum ( = peak ) extension in X-axis is the length of the vector.

Klaus

1600237324587.png

The above explanation provide in the website https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/accircuits/phasors.html
It really confuses. My understanding is it should be a peak value.

Last edited:

Phasor is not a rotating vector, it's a static vector representing a sine quantity. Scaling of vector length is a matter of convention. In power electronics we prefer rms, as used in the linked tutorial.

Phasor is not a rotating vector, it's a static vector representing a sine quantity.
I am sorry i did not understand when you said it is not a rotating vector. Does it make any difference? Can I use the RMS values for both rotating vector and static vector? And also how do i know if i am using RMS value or Peak value, do i need to indicate in the representation? I know static vector is called the phasor, does rotating is also called phasor or by another name? Please advise.

Hi,

I have to admit that the phasor magnitude may be the RMS value.

Klaus

Can I use the RMS values for both rotating vector and static vector? And also how do i know if i am using RMS value or Peak value, do i need to indicate in the representation? I know static vector is called the phasor, does rotating is also called phasor or by another name?
The length of a rotating vector corresponds obviously to a peak value. For the time invariant phasor constant, both rms and peak is used, depending on the application range. If there's a risk of ambiguity, you should declare your usage. In some literature, the rotating vector is also called phasor, hence the requested clarification can't be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back