Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

phase sensitive detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary36

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have two signals A and B. Both are 50 Hz signals. A is of the form V1sinwt and B is V2sine(wt+phi). Now I have used multiplier and the output is DC=(V1*V2/2)*cos(phi). I am facing issue that if V1 changes then the DC output also changes giving in correct phase readings. How can I make the DC output insensitive to the magnitude of reference A?

Handbook on multipliers and their circuits :

Not sure where offset comes from....

1679658946021.png

images

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

In page no: 10 (pdf page no.15), the average output from phase detection is proportional to V.Vr cos(phi), which means that slight magnitude change in either reference or incoming signal will result in incorrect phase readings.

One option is to use an AGC circuit to keep the A signal amplitude constant (which can be done with another multiplier).
Or use another multiplier to adjust the DC output gain (signal level) inversely proportional to the A signal amplitude.
--- Updated ---

Could you please elaborate on this. Do you mean peak detection?
A possible disadvantage of peak detection (or zero-crossing detection) for phase-shift measurement, is that they are rather sensitive to any signal noise or distortion, whereas the multiplying technique is generally less so.

Could you please elaborate on this. Do you mean peak detection?
Exactly. This simple method works for any amplitude or DC component.
It indicates bursts of current at each moment incoming voltage exceeds charge on the capacitor.

sine peak detector (current bursts through series capacitor).png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back