Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase noise Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbeyromy

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can you please help me in simulating phase noise in ADS?

Please refer to attached ADS design project.

I referred to the online documentation at link
**broken link removed**

PAGE 170 talks about using hb_noise.vout.pnfm phase noise (in dBc) from frequency sensitivity analysis

so I created an equation Phase_Noise=hb_noise.PNoise_OL.pnfm but the tool gives me error as "hb_noise undefined"

With the present circuit can you help me understand how I can simulate phase noise?

The purpose of the activity is to know at what Quality factor I can achieve an acceptable value of phase noise.

Reference:

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• phase_noise.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 47

I referred to the online documentation at link
**broken link removed**
PAGE 170 talks about using hb_noise.vout.pnfm phase noise (in dBc) from frequency sensitivity analysis
This is a too old document for ADS1.5.

What version of ADS are you using ?

"pnfm" is not available in current ADS.
Currently "pnmx" and "anmx" are available.
Harmonic Balance for Oscillator Simulation - ADS 2009 -*Agilent EEsof Documentation Center

The Designer's Guide Community Forum - Augmented Pnoise of Cadence Spectre
The Designer's Guide Community Forum - Interpretation of Minimal value in LSB-Noise of Crystal Oscillator
The Designer's Guide Community Forum - how to start a oscillator's phase noise?

Last edited:
Hi Pancho,

I am using ADS 2009 update 1. Thanks for the links but I still could not figure it out what equation or inbuilt function I can use in ADS with the present circuit that I have attached.

If possible can you please look into the attached design file and guide me?

Thanks

Hemanshu Abbey

Hi pancho,

I followed some links by you and now I am able to simulate the phase noise. The tutorial circuit is not working still. I took help from my professor to get it working.

I had to add an extra 50 ohm in parallel to the source so as to make sure i am getting 10dbm of input power. Also I removed the demodulator.

Thanks for the help

yes, I removed the demodulator too and it worked.

Thanks for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.