Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase Noise of A Closed Loop System (PLL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tromeros

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to all,
I would like to ask how to calculate the phase noise at the output of a closed loop system such as a PLL.

I have seen the method described in https://www.designers-guide.org/ by Ken Kundert. He incorporates the jitter in the behavioural model of the subsystems of the PLL and performs a transient analysis and finds the jitter at the output. After an FFT transform he gets the phase noise.

Using PSS analysis in Cadence I couldn't succeed because of stability reasons, the PLL would never lock.

In ADS, though it has some examples I couldn't customise them in my design and the analysis failed for stabillity reasons too.

I would like to share your opinions on this subject. Has anyone seen an accurate and relatively quick way to calculate the phase noise?
Thank you !

Hi;
Have you seen following books?
- Microwave and Wireless Synthesizers, Rohde,
- Frequency Synthesizers, Theory and Design, Manassewisch
- Frequency Synthesizer Design Handbook, Crawford

I also want the book
Frequency Synthesizer Design Handbook, Crawford
can anyone upload it?

Status
Not open for further replies.