Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase modulation perturbed by amplitude modulation in RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolas.bachelard

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I am dealing with a physical signal where the information that I seeking of measuring is encoded in the phase \[ \Phi(t) [\tex].
This is an optical signal that I modulate in amplitude at a carrier frequency \[f_m = 1 GHz/tex].
I am looking at the phase of this signal. But this phase changes in time over roughly 10 ns.

The signal is acquired with a detector, which cuts off at 2.5 GHz.
My signal should read \[s_m cos( 2 \pi f_m t + \Phi(t))\], where \[s_m[\tex] is the amplitude of my signal and \[ \Phi(t) [\tex] the varying phase that I want.
The problem that I am facing is that the physical process that I apply to change \[\Phi(t)[\tex] also influences the influence \[s_m(t)[\tex].
This amplitude modulation together with the phase time-evolution broaden my signal in frequency (I would say of about 10 to 100 MHz around 1GHz).
I fear that this broadening ultimately influences the phase that I measure since I work so close from the cut off of my detector (2.5 GHz).
My phase-evolution is supposed to be very small (around few degrees) and I am sure that the broadening of my signal convoluted by the detector produces a much bigger phase shift.

Until now I was doing simple temporal detection using a RF oscilloscope to detect the phase but I am convinced that what I measure is the convolution of my phase with the response of the detector.
I cannot work at lower frequency. I am looking for a detection technique that ensures that the phase of my detector will not interfere with the phase. Right now I am implementing an IQ demodulation.
There I multiply the signal \[s_m cos( 2 \pi f_m t + \Phi(t))\] by \[cos( 2 \pi f_m t)[\tex] on one arm and by \[sin( 2 \pi f_m t)[\tex] on another arm and from these signal I hope I can extract [text]\Phi(t)[\tex] without the influence of my detector.

Can someone confirm that the IQ demodulation is indeed a way to shortcut the influence of my detector? If not does someone has an idea of how I can get rid of the influence of my detector?

Best

Status
Not open for further replies.