Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase Compensating Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

strokebow

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
op amp phase compensating capacitor

Can anyone tell me the purpose of a 'Phase Compensating Capacitor' in an op-amp circuit?

Thanks in advance :)

what is phase compensating

refer to Razavi's book

designing for compesating capacitor

Thank you for your reply - I appreciate it you taking the time to answer me.

Unfortunately, I do not know what you mean. What is Razavi's book? Where can I find it?

(Also, if anyone has a direct answer to my initial question that would be great too!)

You may need such cap to make your opamp stable. Amplifiers that are made of more than one stage can get unstable. Almost always you need to make the opamp stable for the entire frequency band and the most common way to do that is by using a comp cap. You can use it in a miller connection for instance.

I think you should read a little some basic book, like Razzavi. You could also just try at the wikipedia or do a search in this same forum.

I think gray explains this section better than razavi.

The purpose is to increase the phase noise of the circuit,

how do we do it? well, we pretty much "introduce" a new pole behind all other poles to compensate the opamp.

Well, does it ruin the frequency response? Yes, there is no free lunch.

Cheers

Thanks fellas! Much appreciated.

Where can I get this other book by Gray?

Thanks again :D

Phase compensating capacitor!

Well.. In a two stage OTA topology, for miller compensation, we introduce a capacitor between two stages.. That capacitor moves the dominant pole to lesser frequency and second dominant pole to higher frequency! By this we get a higher unity gain frequency! But the compensating capacitor also introduces a right half plane zero! As you might be aware, a right half plane zero wil decrease your phase shift much like a left half plane zero!

Hence by introducing a resistor in series with the capacitor and by appropriately choosing the value of the resistor, we can move the zero to left half plane which contributes in increasing our phase! Thus along with the frequency, our phase also increases! :)

Razzavi :Analog COMS IC Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back