Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pf improvement of CLF

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not so easy as you are thinking. Adding capacitor in which terminal? read this: https://www.edaboard.com/threads/140030/#post925617

I was being facetious. To generally correct for a lagging PF, you add a capacitor to the system. Think of it like as series resonator (series L-C). When you reach the resonant frequency, the reactive components of the L and C are equal and opposite, effectively turning them in a simple wire (theoretically, zero ohms). jwL = 1/jwC

For a CFL, that is a different beast altogether. Since it only draws power for a small percentage of the 60 Hz cycle, it is much more difficult to correct the pf. It looks more like a full-bridge rectifier than a simple inductive load, so a simple series capacitor won't solve your issue.

I think you're wasting your time trying to correct the PF on a bunch of 15W devices. You'd probably get more bang-for-your-buck by correcting the PF on the compressor motor on your refrigerator/freezer.

Think of a industrial workshop. 700 CFLs are being used 12Hr a day each of them are of 32W. If each of them cost 0.5W extra power loss then how much power is being wasted in a month??? Just calculate and I think then you will understand why I'm trying to improve this.

Think of a industrial workshop. 700 CFLs are being used 12Hr a day each of them are of 32W. If each of them cost 0.5W extra power loss then how much power is being wasted in a month??? Just calculate and I think then you will understand why I'm trying to improve this.

Considering that the shop probably started with 700 100 watt light bulbs, you are already cut your power consumption by two-thirds. The next step in power conservation won't be cheap, or easy.... thus, why you haven't seen many/any responses to your question. I think it's a worthy task, but I'm just saying it probably isn't going to be quick or simple.

I think , this is not a right place , move to power section. By the way , parchas very good qty cfl and reputed company.

Status
Not open for further replies.