Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PECL Logic Design Differential Logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeRoche

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pecl logic

Hello,

I have a question about PECL logic Design.
I am new to this technology so I have a quick question.

PECL logic design uses (emitter coupled Logic). This is Differential Logic and the tracks on the PCB are transmission lines and have to be terminated.

Does anybody know of a reference book or designer manual with a reference design that I can look at.

I am using on-semi differential logic for a high speed application and I am concerned about fanout.

Can the PECL device drive more than one input like an RS-485 network . Or do you have to use buffers.

Any info would be helpful.

banjo

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pecl design

On Semiconductor is the leader for ECL and PECL components. They took over the product line formerly run by Motorola. Go to https://www.onsemi.com
and search for PECL. You will find numerous design guides.

You can fanout PECL. However, the routing must be daisy-chained with the termination resistors at the far end. Most common mistakes are to either place the termination resistors at the source rather than the load. The other mistake is to route a star pattern rather than daisy-chain. Personally, I usually only fanout to 2 or 3 devices. Beyond 3, I use buffer chips to generate multiple copies of the signal. PECL or ECL is only really useful for high speed stuff. Remember this is matched length differential routing.

joeRoche

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor