Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Peak Detector not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.Rehan

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Simulation is working properly but real circuit causing problems

Peak Detector.PNG
Peak.PNG

Output of this circuit is showing constant -4.8 V in real Circuit

Components used are same as in simulation

You most definitely have something wired wrong - there is no way it can produce an output voltage greater than it's supply voltage.

The circuit isn't actually a peak detector, it's nearer to being a precision rectifier and buffer as there is nothing in it to hold the peak level. I presume you are measuring the output voltage with respect to ground and not the negative or positive rails.

Brian.

@SLK
Diode is in right direction

@Brian
Its a -5V supply and shows -4.97V (schematic mistake)
I ll use capacitor parallel to resistor once get the right waveform

Input signal is with respect to ground and op-amp don't have any connection to ground

Last edited:

Same result for both diode and op amp changed

Probably you left input pin 3 floating.

Attached images shows how input signal is fed.

Capture.PNG

Then there must be an error in your wiring.
Is the power supply common connected to your input common?

The virtual ground of your ICs is at +1.2V. If your input is 1V peak and symetrical around 0V, then at no time will the diode be in play. Your signal is negative with respect to the opamp and always will be.

Reactions: M.Rehan

M.Rehan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Circuit didn't work so changed to other one
Thanks

The virtual ground of your ICs is at +1.2V.
Where? How? There's no "virtual ground" in the circuit.

I guess you are referring to the mid supply level. It's irrelevant in this circuit as long as the common mode range of the OPs isn't violated.

Reactions: M.Rehan

M.Rehan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Where? How? There's no "virtual ground" in the circuit.

I guess you are referring to the mid supply level. It's irrelevant in this circuit as long as the common mode range of the OPs isn't violated.

Look at #8. His input signal is ground based (I'm assuming that it is symetric around ground). His opamp's "mid supply level" is above the maximum signal from his "ground based" sine wave generator. And his input circuit is DC coupled.

Hi, instead of using ampop why you dont use AD8307 ( multistage logarithmic instrumentation amplifier ) ? You get analog out on any signal from DC to 500MHz
Here are some measures:
Power in | Vout
-20dBm 1,678V
-10dBm 1,9237V
-5 dBm 2,057V
-1dBm 2,1502
0 dBm 2,1808V

AD8307Circuit.png

There are many circuits using AD8307 googalize it. Very low cost easy implementation.

Happy peak detection.

Look at #8. His input signal is ground based (I'm assuming that it is symetric around ground). His opamp's "mid supply level" is above the maximum signal from his "ground based" sine wave generator. And his input circuit is DC coupled.

I'm not sure why "mid supply level" makes any difference in that design. The input voltage (ground) is well within the limits for that device so the problem shouldn't be input overload.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.